Lost Desktop Icons - not short cuts

Greengage 10:57 08 Apr 05

A few weeks ago I lost my proper icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin & Network Neighborhood on the Desktop, leaving me with the white background with the Microsoft flag icon in each case. In right clicking these does not bring up the usual options with shortcuts to go into properties to muck about with adding/replacing icons. In fact I cannot get to anything which might allow me to restore the icons. The same missing icons show in Windows Explorer for the programs concerned. I have not been able to find a thread that assists me here. I have tried sfc (I am running Win 98SE)but no joy and in trying scanreg /restore, the date did not go back far enough to before the trouble began. I attempted to install Win98 SE over the top to correct the problem but my PC started to do weird things and then crashing, so I aborted. This latter problem is something that I will need to sort out in the future but in the meantime, the PC works Ok in every respect. Any ideas would be appreciated.

recap 11:13 08 Apr 05

Right click any free space on the Desktop select Properties, go to Web (Tab) check to make sure "View My Active Desktop as Web Page" is not ticked.

Greengage 11:23 08 Apr 05

Thanks recap but it was not ticked anyhow & hence problem remains.

BRYNIT 11:43 08 Apr 05

this might help click here

rawprawn 12:12 08 Apr 05

System restore?

Greengage 15:56 08 Apr 05

No joy - and I am using Win98Se anyhow.

Greengage 16:11 08 Apr 05

The suggestions from recap & BRYNIT led to me to try similar things. Now solved by right clicking Desktop, Properties, Effects, Change Icon. Thanks for all your help.

Sans le Sou 16:16 08 Apr 05

Have you tried right click on desktop, properties,desktop,customise desktop, restore defaults. This is on XP, been a long time since I used 98SE but may be the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…