lost d drive

rsturbo 18:39 16 Jul 03

i tried installing a usb keyring device, it would not work so i uninstalled it now i don't have a d drive icon in my computer. strange thing is the d drive is accessible thru dos. can somebody pls let me know how to get it back?? w98 with fdd hdd and cdrom (d)

thanks for any help

dazzling (work) 22:44 16 Jul 03

try going into device manager and removing it then run the add new hardware wizard and see if it picks the drive up.darren

rsturbo 00:24 17 Jul 03

either in device manager or my computer

Quiller. 00:35 17 Jul 03

Long time no see M8.

Is old "d" a slave drive or partition?

If it is a slave drive, change the jumpers and put it on the spare IDE ribbon connector.

You say " w98 with fdd hdd and cdrom (d) ". If your cdrom is secondary master put the slave hard drive down to secondary slave. Make sure it is on auto on the bios, boot to windows and you should see it.

wee eddie 21:37 17 Jul 03

The USB Keyring drive would show as Drive E. when it was connected.

When you decided to delete the keyring drive. I assume that it wasn't connected.

Could you have accidentally deleted the last drive. e.g. Your CDRom Drive

rsturbo 22:33 17 Jul 03

w98 with hdd (c) fdd (a) cdrom (d) cdrom is master on second ide. can't remember how i got rid of d it was accidental whatever happened, just need to get it back. recap: is visible in bios on auto and is visible in dos

thanks for responses so far

long time no see - been away on holiday and working away from home - back now :)

Stuartli 01:00 18 Jul 03

If you go into Device Manager, highlight your drive, Properties and then the Settings tab, is the drive listed as D and D?

If not try correcting the letters.

rsturbo 23:51 18 Jul 03

c and a are visible in my computer and device manager. d is not visible at all in windows

Murray 00:20 19 Jul 03

problem with a USB CDRW and windows 2000, would be interesting to know the ending...

have you tried all normal things like following the instructions word for word, unplugging/uninstalling everything and trying to get back to normal...

wee eddie 00:43 19 Jul 03

Running:- Control Panel > Install New Hardware, because if it is the CD that came with the PC. The drivers should be available on the HDD.

hugh-265156 00:48 19 Jul 03

have you tried system restore?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…