lost d drive

claridge 17:14 04 Apr 04

I cannot access my d drive - and as such can only open windows 98 in safe mode - I have V90 K56 flex HSP PCI modem - the message I get on startup is:
windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file but device file no longer exists

Diemmess 17:34 04 Apr 04

Please give a spot more detail.

Is drive D: your CD, a separate HDD, or a partition on the only HDD?

Is your operating system Windows 98?

Can you repeat exactly, the whole of the error message?

Diemmess 11:03 05 Apr 04

I have pasted your email to me so that others can add their advice and most likely solve your problem. You said:

"Yes it is windows 98 the d drive being in my tower. the message goes on to say that if the file was deleted om purpose to try uninstalling the associated application and if I still wanted to use the application associated with the device file to reinstall that application to replace the missing file. My son had been in the process of trying to connect our computers to take advantage of our broadband connection."

You still haven't said which file is missing or which drive that was on........ If you have been changing modem settings it may be in that area.

One thing you can do (though it may not solve this problem), is to boot the computer while tapping away at F8 during the opening screens and before Windows starts to load.

This will stop at a DOS screen with alternatives. Pick "Command Prompt Only" and Enter..........Then type scanreg /restore and press Enter again................This time you will have a choice of 5 dates when W98 loaded satisfactorily. Pick a date before this trouble and follow the prompts.

This scanreg /restore procedure will reset the registry to the earlier date, and will do the trict if there has been a configuration mistake but won't help if a needed file has been deleted.

Come back to this thread with more details if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…