lost contacts windows live mail update

Rhodie 20:25 23 Apr 12

I use Windows 7 with windows live mail - last week I downloaded the windows live mail update then noticed all my contacts had gone. I had to system restore to previous WLM to get my contacts back. Is this a known problem with this update?

birdface 20:33 23 Apr 12

Did much the same with me about 2 weeks ago,Update for Windows live essentials.Updated it and Windows Live mail stopped working ,Did a repair in Add remove but it made no difference,

Deleted WLE and went to file Hippo and downloaded an older version and that has worked fine since.

It flagged another update for me today which I refused and will keep refusing.

cagey 12:34 24 Jun 12

Just had this happen to me on my PC and Laptop, both running Win7. Had to do a restore on both to get back contacts. Surely Microsoft should address this known problem. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know?

birdface 13:09 24 Jun 12

They have been pushing an update for Windows live Essentials for a few weeks now so maybe try updating it.

birdface 13:30 24 Jun 12

Looks like they are having problems with their latest update as well so maybe best not updating at the moment.

On my 64Bit version it will not let me open WLM unless I update it.

Just wondering if you can download WLM without having to download windows live essentials to go with it.

Woolwell 15:29 24 Jun 12

buteman - as far as I am aware you just select the bit that you want eg I have the photos part but not WLM.

birdface 15:35 24 Jun 12

Woolwell

I removed windows messenger and the update put it back on.Maybe time to dump it and try something else.

Just updated the 64bit computer with the latest update and WLM works again.

I only had WLM on it and nothing else.

Woolwell 15:41 24 Jun 12

At the risk of hijacking this thread I find the business about the update interesting as I haven't been offered it perhaps because I only have Windows Live Movie Maker and Photo Gallery.

birdface 16:17 24 Jun 12

Possibly it is just for windows live mail Woolwell.I have automatic updates switched of but I get a box pop up on the taskbar that offers me the update.or if I tried to open WLM I would get the update box appearing in the middle of the screen.

Now not sure if I got the same update appearing on my 32 Bit version of W/7 or not.I believe I did but not sure.

Rhodie 23:33 25 Jun 12

I eventually solved the problem. Logged into windows live mail on internet - my contacts were saved on WLM internet. exported the contacts back into windows live mail.

cagey 10:56 28 Jun 12

just tried to update WLM, which failed-"surprise surprise". Once again I have lost all my contacts. I opened internet explorer as Rhodie suggested, but contacts were not there. It looks as if I will have to do another "Restore" to get my contacts back, unless anyone knows different? Surely Microsoft should have a solution for this very important program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant