lost connection to pc

suzie005 12:52 24 Mar 08

the heap of rubbish running ME won't connect.on Saturday my son connected a router cos he bought a laptop and everything was ok.the last time i was on it was Sat nite.now i'm finding i can't connect yet the lites are ok on the modem and the laptop is working fine so obviously not an NTL problem.just need advice on what i mite be able to do to get it sorted.

recap 13:00 24 Mar 08

First try unplugging the router and modem for around 30 seconds, this enables them to both reset themselves.

suzie005 13:06 24 Mar 08

cheers.so is it the ethernet cable on the router i take out?

mike1967 13:16 24 Mar 08

power down router then reapply power is always a good start

recap 13:37 24 Mar 08

suzie005 unplug the power supply from the router and modem from the back of each or from the wall socket.

suzie005 13:43 24 Mar 08

tried that and i still don't have it connected

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:00 24 Mar 08

Lets find out which bit is not working:

1. Check PC

a) plug cable from PC into the connection on the Modem and see if it will connect?

if so then modem and PC are OK

2. Connect router and check connections

Modem is connected to router (into wlan port) by Ethernet cable

router connects from LAN port to LAN port on PC

What sort of router (make model number)?
often
click here will connect to router.

suzie005 14:02 24 Mar 08

when the router was installed we had no problem with the connection on this laptop.now since unplugging the router and modem we've got no connection at all from the main pc

suzie005 14:05 24 Mar 08

sorry i co-incided posting with that last one.it's a belkin router FSD7230-4

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:12 24 Mar 08

connection address to that router is 192.168.2.1

type that address in IE or firefox (after the http://) and it should connect to the routers configuration pages.

suzie005 15:03 24 Mar 08

right then.i unplugged the router and attached the ethernet cable to pc/modem as before and i still don't have a connection.because the only time i've had a problem before was when ntl went down and because everything was ok before installing the router i've come to the conclusion that it is that what's the problem.i have the router config here on screen but what should i be looking for?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017