Lost connection

Saltyseadog 19:09 17 Jun 05

I've lost my internet and e-mail connection on my main desktop computer. Up until about a fortnight ago this had been working fine according to my wife and son, I have just returned as I work away in case your wondering why it's taken me so long to ask for assistance. I have a wireless network in the house and my son's desktop works fine using a netgear wg111 usb conncection as does my laptop using the same connection. The main desktop is connected via a cable modem and a WGR614 wireless router. The lan connection status shows ok and I've tried the repair option without success. Any suggestions?.

Saltyseadog 21:28 17 Jun 05

bump

cnmoore 23:05 18 Jun 05

Similar problem, internet was working fine through a home network then i used my widows cd to repair my copy of windows as it had been crashing FREQUENTLY (once a day min) and this caused my pc to forget all information about my sound card and modem settings for the internet. I can't use my network to look at my house mates computers on our network let alone the world wide web.

Any suggestions please, i'm in despair with it

Chris Moore

Saltyseadog 09:26 19 Jun 05

Still no joy with either e-mail or internet, the data light on the modem flashes initially when i try to access either e-mail or internet but thats all. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

mgmcc 22:56 19 Jun 05

<<<the data light on the modem flashes initially when i try to access either e-mail or internet but thats all>>>

Is your main desktop PC getting an IP address from the router? It should have an IP address in the same range as the router, probably in the 192.168.x.x range. The DNS address would normally be that of the router's IP address but it sometimes helps to enter the ISP's DNS address as a 'fixed' address in the PC's Local Area Connection TCP/IP settings.

Saltyseadog 18:01 20 Jun 05

Still unable to access e-mail or Internet on my Dell desktop. I can't understand why the connection has suddenly stopped working, my son's desktop is working ok wirelessly in his bedroom and I am currently online on my laptop connected through an ehternet link to the router. The local area connection says there are no problems. I am unable to use the restore option as this does not work as well. Please help?.

Saltyseadog 19:31 17 Dec 05

Continuing to have dropouts with my wireless connection to my son's bedroom using a netgear wireless router wrg614v4, I have upgraded the firmware. My main computer is connected to the webstar modem by ethernet, I've tried to upgrade the webstar modem drivers without success. If I look for the modem in device manager under the network adapter heading it is not displayed unless the usb cable is plugged in. Once I plug in the usb cable it comes up with the error message of 'Limited or no connectivity'. Unfortunately Blueyonder are not any help even though they plug Netgear as the wireless equipment of choice. I understand this has been a problem with others in the past although I've been unable to get find a fix on any of the websites so I'd appreciate it if anyone has any help or pointers.

Gary7 19:42 17 Dec 05

May I suggest that you look at your USB Properties and check whether there are any "networking type" drivers installed, and remove them. Plug in the ethernet cable. Check Networking Properties. These are well documented on this BB so I won't repeat them all again. Reboot the lot, starting from CM, then rooter, then PC.

Saltyseadog 19:55 17 Dec 05

Thanks for your reply Gary7, I am currently online on my main computer which is connected to the router from the modem by the ethernet cable. In device manager under the usb controllers it's showing entries for a 'generic usb hub, a usb mass storage device, six entries for usb root hub, four entries for VIA rev5 or later Universal Host or Companion Controller and two entries for VIA usb enhanced host controller should I remove these entries?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now