Lost CMOS password

shy_guy69 00:56 11 Nov 04

Hi all, a few weeks ago i set a password for my CMOS on my home pc to stop someone from tampering with the settings. Although this has not affected the running of the machine or as others have experienced getting the computer to boot i would now like to get rid of this password but i have forgot what it is ( i did have it wrote down but can't find it ) is there anyway to reset it so i can enter the CMOS without a password so that if the need arises i can enter the CMOS to alter settings. Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

LastChip 01:08 11 Nov 04

1. Unplug the machine from the mains and remove the cover. Refer to your motherboard manual for the jumper that resets the CMOS to the factory defaults. You will normally have to set it to the reset position for a minute or two and then back to it's normal position.

If you don't have access to that information;

2. Locate the motherboard battery, and remove it CAREFULLY for a minute or two, then replace.

Note. For both of these procedures, it is essential you do not have any mains voltage to the machine. You can do this either by unplugging OR just turning off the wall socket. I prefer the later, as you still have an earth connection, which tends to disperse any static in your body.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…