Lost CD\DVD Drive From My Computer

Pikachu 16:11 17 Dec 03

Hi All

I'm running Windows XP and have been using this PC for about 6 months now it has both a DVD\CDRW (samsung SM-348) Combi Drive and a DVDRW Drive (Sony 510A) and yesterday I found that I lost them from My Computer. In Device Manager there is an exclamation mark on both these items and not sure whats happened to them as I have not installed and done anything to the PC. The Device Status for both these drives are:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Any ideas why I get this error

Thanks for all responses

Pikachu 16:13 17 Dec 03

I have kept the Samsung as Master and Sony Drive as Slave.

On teh same harddrive but different partition I am running Windows 2003 Server and on this OS teh drives work fine so I dont think there is anything wrong with the drives themselves.

Do you recommend a re-insall of Windows XP? Or is there any easier method?

Many Thanks

Trackrat 16:15 17 Dec 03

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration, which rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly. For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at click here.

Pikachu 16:20 17 Dec 03

Thanks for response

Ive tried the troubleshoot and it just shows up a blank white screen with nor results :( I have also unistalled drivers and scanned for new ones and it still comes up with exclamation marks. I'll try running in safe mode and roll back to a successful registry config.

Djohn 16:23 17 Dec 03

You could try from device manager. Remove both drives and then re-boot the PC. It will with a little luck pick up both drives on booting and re-install the drivers. This is the easiest method to try first, then a manual install of the drives before going into the registry to make any changes. j.

Pikachu 16:25 17 Dec 03

Thanks Djohn for quick response will try your method first,

Pikachu 16:25 17 Dec 03

Thanks Djohn for quick response will try your method first,

Stuartli 16:29 17 Dec 03

There are numerous recent threads on this subject, but the most likely cause is a loose, faulty or infirm lead or IDE cable connection.

Stormpool 16:30 17 Dec 03

click here;EN-US;314060

Stormpool 16:31 17 Dec 03

That didn't work...

click here

search for article 314060

Pikachu 16:35 17 Dec 03

I checked the IDE cables but no luck there I have also unistalled drives and re-booted but exclamation marks are still there and they dont appear in My Computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…