lost cd-writer

joe95 16:50 04 Apr 04

I switcched on my PC and couldn't get the cd drawer to open no light etc. not shown on my computer, have tried restore several times no joy.When I turned on my computeragain on the menu autodetecting sec master .press F4 to abort was flashing never seen that before left it alone for 30 secs and programmes all loaded.,still no sign of cd-writersystem is XP.
THANKS jOE

ened 17:11 04 Apr 04

First check the power hasn't somehow become disconnected.
If you have two drives change the jumpers on both to Cable Select.

Hope I have understood the problen correctly!

joe95 23:09 04 Apr 04

Power okay,no idea where to start with the jumpers never been inside a PC.
Thanks

tobykim 23:34 04 Apr 04

I had this problem a few weeks ago the DVD drive (D) had disappeared from my computer although it was appearing in the device manager as working correctly. What had happened I don't know, but this is how I corrected it (and it was by accident) I emptied everything in My Docs (put onto CDR) and when I switched on again everything was ok, it was obviously something I had downloaded that was causing the problem, I have also had trouble with various drivers I have installed for other hardware i.e a card reader for a digital camera and also a driver for a memory stick, neither of my drives would work with these installed and I had to find alternatives

joe95 23:42 04 Apr 04

Thanks tobykim but can't open cd-rw and not in device manager or anywhere

tobykim 23:47 04 Apr 04

No I couldn't open mine either but I was lucky as I had two drives and it was only the DVD drive that was affected, I had all sorts of advice from various sources and they all told me to disconnect it but as it was only 3 months old I was reluctant and thank goodness I was right it was a conflict somewhere

joe95 00:01 05 Apr 04

I have been having problems with cd-writer since Nov. when I bought the new PC have a post running at the moment but can't seem to solve the problem other people in the same situation.

Stuartli 08:47 05 Apr 04

Cable Select can only be used if you have a mobo that supports it and the correct cables.

Go into Safe Mode, open Device Manager and check the drive's Properties again - if the drive is listed then first make sure that it has not been "disconnected" or disabled if it is listed; otherwise the most likely cause is that there is a loose or incorrectly fitted lead or cable.

joe95 15:08 05 Apr 04

have checked instructions for getting into Safe Modebutbut don't get message please select the operating system to start seems a bit scary to me

Stuartli 16:54 05 Apr 04

When you boot up press F8 and select Safe Mode - you can then go into Device Manager via My Computer.

joe95 13:00 06 Apr 04

Stuartli
nothing happens when I press F8, F2 setup and F11 boot menu are on the onscreen menu auto detect Sec. master F4 to abortand that's it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…