Lost CD & DVD drives in 98se

woodchip 12:39 23 Jun 08

Okay, Managed to sort the Dual Boot out but still not getting CD and DVD drives in 98se Although they are in BIOS XP no problem. I think this as something to do with Dual Boot. I may be wrong.

I created a New Thread as Dual Boot is sorted. Its just Drives I have not got in 98se.

The DVDRW & CDRW are on there own IDE Cable a 80 wire one

woodchip 13:50 23 Jun 08

Any Body

Ditch999 15:08 23 Jun 08

Can you actually get into 98?
If so, have you tried restoring the registry?

1. Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)
2. Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt
3. You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use
4. Choose your backup and press Restore
5. When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

woodchip 15:27 23 Jun 08

Yep tried all that also did it from DOS. But still not doing it.

Looks like I am going to have to reload a Acronis Image after I make a new backup of my files.

Also just running Avast it found a Virus when I started copying a folder it found TestDisk so it must have been piggy-backed on the program, Going through it all before I do any more

Ditch999 15:32 23 Jun 08

Have you tried setting the drives to PIO mode in 98?

woodchip 15:39 23 Jun 08

Cannot see them at all in 98se. Only this after Altering drive sizes reducing both drives from three partition on each drive to two on each

woodchip 15:40 23 Jun 08

Cannot see them at all in 98se. Only this after Altering drive sizes reducing both drives from three partition on each drive to two on each.
PS if I load the 98se Image it will restore the Partition size to what it was

Ditch999 15:42 23 Jun 08

It may well be a drive letter conflict then if you have done away with 2 drive letters. Were the CD drives before or after the deleted partitions alphabetically?

Ditch999 15:43 23 Jun 08

You might find that the image wont work if you have changed the partitions.

woodchip 15:45 23 Jun 08

Cannot remember as they was mixed up, as I have two Drives one the old one with 98se on it the new one with XP home. As I said, I can see them in XP and know how to change the drive letters there but no idea how to check or do it in 98se. Its quite possible that is what as happened

woodchip 15:46 23 Jun 08

I think the drive letters was G for dvd and H for CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…