//some 3rd party need geo

Lost CD & DVD Drives

pcmadness 20:33 04 Oct 04

Everything was going fine until I decided to load Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD V8. The PC went crazy and started into a cycle of shutting down and re starting, endlessly. I had to switch the power off to halt it. I previously had roxio CD Creator Lite which came with the machine which was still loaded...could this have conflicted???

The bottom line is that I now cannot see the CD or DVD writer. In device manager they show up with a yellow exclamation. It tells me that they are not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers (Code31). Upgrading the driver is no use. I booted from the windows 2K CD and tried a repair with no luck. Can anyone help please????

JonnyTub 20:37 04 Oct 04

uninstall the ide channels they are on and restart, this should reinstall the correct drivers on reboot.

pcmadness 20:47 04 Oct 04

Thanks for this but you just lost me...How do I do That??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 04 Oct 04

device manager two items down fron cd /dvd is

ide ata/atapi you cd / dvd is probebly on secondary channel---

uninstal secondary channel --- scan for hardware change or add new hardware wizard to let windows reinstal the channel.

JonnyTub 20:55 04 Oct 04

in device manager you will see an entry named along the lines of ide/atapi controller, expand this entry and there will be a few more listed as primary ide channel, secondary ide channel, etc etc. right click on all the ide channels and select uninstall. when you done the the pc will ask to be rebooted, when the machine reboots, it will begin to load the default driver for all devices connected to the ide channels, such as your cd and dvd drives.

JonnyTub 20:57 04 Oct 04

to be certain uninstall all ide channels, it'll refresh those that don't need reinstalling anyway.

pcmadness 21:17 04 Oct 04

I tried that but it did not do the trick. There is also an item in thid file called Intel(r) 82001BA Ultra ATA Controller...should I be uninstalling this as well??

I also notice that under CD/DVD Drives there is an item VOBID InstanDrive CD SCSI CdRom Device which I do not recognise. What is this??

Thanks for your help

JonnyTub 21:20 04 Oct 04

ok, are you using xp?

pcmadness 21:21 04 Oct 04

No. Windows 2000

JonnyTub 21:22 04 Oct 04

does windows 2000 have system restore, if so, have you tried that?

JonnyTub 21:24 04 Oct 04

before things get complicated, try uninstalling the drives with eclamation mark next to them in device manager. reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…