lost boot sector?

El Cavaliero! 21:02 16 Sep 03

was installing acronis boot manager thingy yesterday, must have something incredibly stupid and seem to have lost the boot sector! Have managed to fire up an old 2 gig drive from which i am speaking to you now. When i boot with both drives attached it offers me the option of which o/s i want to boot from (both drives running XP pro). When i try the "duff" drive it tells me that there is a disc read error and the following file is either missing or corrupt : windows root>\system32\hal.dll. The drive is a 30.7 gig western digital "caviar". Is there any way of retreiving the data as although current drive detects it, it states that it is corrupt. Any suggestions greatly appreciated as being the eternal optomist i haven't backed up anything in years (I know, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!)
Cheers in advance

zanwalk 21:42 16 Sep 03

Hopefully with a little help from the Recovery Console you will be able to access your data, see:

click here

The command to try first is 'fixmbr' (without the quotes), if that doesn't work try 'fixboot'.

There are a number of useful links on the site which should point you in the right direction. Oh, and don't forget to backup in future!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…