//some 3rd party need geo

lost bios settings on compaq pentium ...help!!!!

pcgal 12:25 22 Jan 03
  pcgal 12:25 22 Jan 03

Ive been reliably informed that when I re-formatted my HDD Ive wiped the BIOS settings....Can anyone tell me what to do next....pcgalxx

Lú-tzé 12:35 22 Jan 03

I don't know how you did that - but still...

Have you installed an Operating System yet?

If not, that should be your first move.

What is the state of your pc now - does it boot up?

If your BIOS has changed, go into it and choose default settings.

Lozzy 12:38 22 Jan 03

Never heard of BIOS settings disappearing on a HDD format.. Good advice from your friend..

Follow the advice given by Lu-tze

pcgal 12:41 22 Jan 03

no lut-ze apparently the older compaq's had the bios settings stored on the hdd thats why theyve been lost when i re-formatted......this discussion forum informed me of this an hour ago but there's no mention of how I get round the problem.

pcgal 12:46 22 Jan 03

I cannot get into Bios this is the problem..its gone

Lú-tzé 12:47 22 Jan 03

pcgal - ok. Will you post a link to your other posting and mabye close one or the other.

I think it may be necessary to go to the Compaq site and see if they have a means of restoring the BIOS.

I have heard in the past that they have proprietary hardware which does not take kindly to be changed.

TBH1 12:48 22 Jan 03

spooky enough - - - I installed a HD on my daughters old Compaq P150, upgraded from w95 to w98 - - - and have been unable to get into BIOS since, not matter what key combinations I press on boot-up. Needed to get into BIOS to enable usb - - - gave up in the end.

VoG™ 12:50 22 Jan 03

Link to other thread click here

BlueMeanie 18:04 22 Jan 03

On Pentium 1 Compaq PC's the BIOS is stored on the Hard Drive as a small non-dos first available partion. To run the bios press F10 (or is it F12) when a flashing cursor appears at the top right hand corner of your monitor.

However if this special partition is deleted there is another method....

The bios will operate from floppy disks provided by compaq. Access their web site click here and download this file which will make a set of 4 ? diagnostic, Bootup, bios and utility floppy disks. The disks can also be used to recreate the bios providing the drive is blank ie not formatted.

Its quite easy honest !!

Regards and good luck.

pcgal 22:44 22 Jan 03

thanx a million blue.....pcgalxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…