Lost Admin account...help please

bof:) 15:15 16 May 06

Hi all, working on brothers pc to try and get rid of trojans. cannot download WindowsDefender/Spybot etc because it says much be logged on as administrator.

I've run kaspersky but it skipped all trojans.

Everyones account on the pc is setup as a limited account.

How do I get to or set up admin account?

How can I set my brothers account to be unlimited?

many thanks, Mike

woodchip 15:32 16 May 06

You should be able to reboot and choose Admin when it restarts or Try it in Safe Mode

uesquebeathus 15:34 16 May 06

If the computer is only set up with limited accounts you will never be able to see an administrators account as they are limited and unable too.
Have you tried a safe mode start up where you will be given the choice of starting up as a User or Administrator, you can then set up a user as the administrator and password protect that user to avoid other users from changing settings.
the safe mode start up will show as a limited resources but the Control panel/Administrative tools/computer management/local users and groups is still available for management of the user accounts. if you can get into that part disable the user called GUEST as it has been used as a way to get trojan and backdoor bugs into computers.

ventanas 15:36 16 May 06

To log on as administrator you have to have the Welcome screen enabled. When you get the list of of user accounts press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice. You will be given the option to log on as administrator. Applies to XP Pro only.

If using home you will have to go into safe mode as Woodchip has said.

bof:) 19:20 16 May 06

Hi All, thankyou for all of your help. I managed to get onto the admin file as you said, I ran ewido and it found and deleted 520 virri. I changed my brothers account from limited to the admin account.

I've also placed a hijackthis log onto malewareromovals website for him.

many thanks for all of your help agin,

Mike

bof:) 08:16 17 May 06

Hi All,footnote it turns out that the original Admin account was still on the pc it had been renamed by one of my nephews who was havng problems with his own account.

This was discovered when he came home from school, asked what I was doing and went..."Oh yes...!"

Kids dont ya just love em :-)

Mike

broggs 20:14 31 Aug 06

for ref

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…