Lost 2GB's

Spr 09:05 10 Sep 06

I installed Windows SP2 yesterday and found my Hard Drive went from 9.5GB’s to 13.5GB’s doing a System Restore as advised,I have managed to claw back 2GB’s it is now 11.5GB.s.

The only thing I can think of is when I installed SP2 it made a backup. I would like to know where the other 2GB’s are hiding and if I find them can I safely delete them.

I have clicked show hidden files & folders also hide system protected files.

I only have a small Hard Drive 25 GB’s which is big enough for my needs

Gongoozler 09:11 10 Sep 06

Hi Spr. Are you saying that your hard drive size is being reported as being 11.5G, or that it has 11.5G used?

Spr 12:34 10 Sep 06

It is reporting 11.5GB's as being used, it used to report 9.5GB's in use till I download SP2

Gongoozler 13:25 10 Sep 06

I think updating to SP2 backs up the old installation so you can restore to pre-update. As SP2 is such a massive update, it needs to back up a lot of data.

Spr 15:30 10 Sep 06

How do I find where SP2 has stored the backup file as you say it takes up a lot of space

Fingees 16:32 10 Sep 06

If you go to restore, and alter settings to stop monitoring all drives, it will remove all restore points to date.

You can later select it to monitor again, and all previous restore points will have been erased.

Including the backup you don't want.

Spr 17:01 10 Sep 06

Fingees
Thank I am back to just under 9GB's where I was before I download SP2 can I trouble you once more and ask how do I turn of the Windows Secuity Alert on the bottom task bar

Gongoozler 17:02 10 Sep 06

These instructions are right from the horses (Microsoft's) mouth. click here

Gongoozler 17:05 10 Sep 06

To turn off the security alerts, Control panel, Security center. In the left of the window select "Change the way Security Center alerts me". Remove the tick from any that you don't want to be alerted about, but first make sure you have your own reliable antivirus and firewall.

Spr 19:49 10 Sep 06

Thanks for all the help
All sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced