Loss of USB2 on Medion PC

1933 15:25 28 May 08

This week I fitted a new harddrive, installed XP with SP2 on a 4 year old Medion. Now if I plug anything in to the USB ports (front or rear) I get the message that "the device will work fatser in a USB2 port". If I use the add-on USB PCI card the message does not appear. I have located the original USB2 folder on the disc supplied with the PC and run setup, but with no effect. The ports work but I am not sure if the message is correct or not. Any help most appreciated. Dave

Ditch999 15:31 28 May 08

Go to Device Manager (Start>Run>devmgmt.msc) and scroll to the bottom where it says USB. Click on the + sign and see if there is an entry for Standard Enhanced USB Controller.

1933 16:08 28 May 08

Thanks for the swift reply Ditch999, had a look as suggested and the Controller is listed, again tried to update driver but got the response that the driver is OK. I'll just have to connect everything through the USB PCI card via hubs. Dave

Ditch999 16:16 28 May 08

If there is one USB 1.0 device on the USB bus then that bus is slowed to USB 1.0. Do you have any old USB devices attached?
It can also be a setting in your BIOS. Check to make sure that USB Hi-speed is enabled.
You may also need the motherboard chipset/usb drivers installed.

woodchip 19:03 28 May 08

You can tell if they are working at USB2 if you have a USB2 external Hard Drive. You will see a Difference between the PCI card and the built in Medion ones if its not working at 2

1933 15:46 02 Jun 08

Still no change after all your advice - I guess I'll have to live with it.

woodchip 17:14 02 Jun 08

I have two Medions a Desktop and a Laptop. The desktop had to have a new front USB Panel fitted as it stopped the Computer starting up

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 02 Jun 08

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…