loss of sound on PC

glawster 19:41 22 Sep 06

I recently reinstalled Windows XP on a PC that was on loan to my grandkids. I have subsequently lost all sound. Can anyone help. I am a relative novice so would appreciate any help that is not too technical.

skidzy 19:43 22 Sep 06

Check device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks beside sounds and video controllers.

If you can tell us what sound card you have,we may be able to find the drivers for you.

Strawballs 19:44 22 Sep 06

Need to know details of machine and does it have onboard sound or has it had a dedicated sound card intalled and if so which one.

Just a thought in the bottom right hand corner does it have an icon of a speaker with a red circle withe a red line through it over the icon.

Strawballs 19:45 22 Sep 06

skidzy I take it you can type faster than me sorry for repeating you.

skidzy 19:49 22 Sep 06

No need to apologise Strawballs

Dont know about typing quicker Strawballs Lol :-))
Double posting always better than once in my book.

glawster 20:00 22 Sep 06

I have checked Device Manager. Multimedia Audio Controller has a large yellow question mark by it.
How do I find details of sound card? Sorry to sound so dumb but i am a bit of a virgin when it comes to this sort of thing!!

skidzy 20:04 22 Sep 06

Not dumb at all,just ask..no problem.

Ok,run Belarc click here and look for multimedia,this should state your sound card.

Or beside the yellow exclaimation mark right click and update the driver...do this first.

glawster 20:12 22 Sep 06

Tried to update driver. Wizard could not find necessary software. Ran Belarc. Under Multimedia was Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device.

skidzy 20:21 22 Sep 06

Can you look under Belarc again and tell us the make of the motherboard please.

Did you try uninstalling from device manager and reboot,this normally sorts a audio problem.

glawster 12:24 23 Sep 06

couldn' get back into site last night. Uninstalled and rebooted. System found hardware but could not find necessary software. Motherboard is NEC MS 6786.

glawster 12:55 23 Sep 06

Managed to get sound back by going to website of manufacturer and someone had just entered details of similar problem. Downloaded driver that bwas missinh and sound restored. Many thanks to skidzy for showing me the route to take, you experts really are a mine of information for novices like me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…