Loss of sound and failure of CD/DVD to play

montse 10:36 12 Jan 09

Since about a week ago I have experienced a complete loss of sound on my laptop. It is an Acer Aspire 7520. The O.S. is Vista Home Premium. Windows Media Player is installed with the latest driver. Realplayer is also installed but is rarely used. Realtek High Definition Audio with latest driver is installed. Volume has been checked and is at maximum and not muted. Phones are normally used. When they were removed for test purposes there is no sound from speakers either.

The reported fault extends to internet radio channels,though streaming is shown and elapsed time of broadcast. There is no sound on internet TV channels but the pictures are visible. Installing a test music CD displays the content on the screen and it appears to be playing but again no sound. Installing a test DVD shows nothing.

Microsoft Problem Reports and Solutions is set to Automatic. It shows no problems during the relevant period from 5 January other than Windows Defender Command Line Utility.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. NB On clicking to publish I got screen message that it was impossible to send so am trying again in case this is another gremlin. Apologies if this should have been transmitted already.

montse

kindly 11:20 12 Jan 09

I have a problem the same but it was on a computer with XP on it.
I went to the control panel and clickeed on "Sounds and Audio devices" and looked at the Audio tab to see what the sound was set to play through in that and found it had changed. I had two different things listed in the drop down box, I changed them and it worked for me. Hope this is some sort of help for you.
You could also check in your Device manager to make sure that there is no symbel next to your sound card to say its not working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5