loss of sound

capnsofa 09:55 10 Oct 06

My computer is an Acer 1801 Laptop with Windows XP operating system.
Trying to use Windows Media Player I find that the system scrolls through each track I have recorded, placing a red exclamation mark against each one and when this is finished, I get a warning that there is a problem with the sound system and I cannot get any sound out.
All I do get is a very loud 'bleep' when pressing either the 'Caps Lock' or 'Num Lock'keys or when I make an error in one of the programs!
There is a facility on the keyboard to adjust the volume level - 'Fn + an arrow key', but this doesn't work either.
The on;t 'out of the ordinary' action I have taken recently was to press the F8 key in error when starting up - I notice this can be used to turn speakers on or off. Could this be the problem? I have tried pressing it again, but no joy.

ICF 20:38 10 Oct 06

Re install the sound driver

capnsofa 22:22 10 Oct 06

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have little experience of these things, hence my query in this specific section - how do I go about reinstalling the sound driver?

josie mayhem 21:52 11 Oct 06

Before you try uninstalling your drivers, try system restore and take your computer back to when you know the sound worked....

If this doesn't work you will need to reinstall the sound card drivers, so you will need the driver/recovery disk that came with your laptop....

If you go to control panel>system maintenance> device manager, then look for sound, vision,game controller on the tree, expand this (at this point you might find a yellow exclemation mark against your sound card) if not find your sound card and right click, then left click on properties this will bring up a window, tab across to drivers tab, here you will find the unistall. Once you've uninstall run you sound card disk to reinstall your drivers..

capnsofa 20:54 12 Oct 06

I tried System Restore, but this did not help, even when I went back some way.
However, I have managed to download a Sound Driver from the Acer web site and saved it in My Documents, as it would allow me to Run the program.
I am now stuck as I don't know how to get this new Driver into my system.
Apologies if this sounds very basic,but I do not understand the complexities of this System.

ICF 06:42 13 Oct 06

I have had a look at the Acer website and can't find an exact match for your laptop.What is the full name of your laptop Travelmate or say Aspire.Can you provide a link to the file your have downloaded or to your laptop on the Acer website.

ICF 06:52 13 Oct 06

Have you had a look in device manager like josie mayhem suggested?

ened 06:54 13 Oct 06

You need Device Manager:
Start-My Computer-right click & select properties-Hardware-Device Manager.
On the list find your Sound adapter click the cross then right click the card and select update driver. Direct it to wherever you have downloaded the new driver.

PS If it all goes horribly wrong follow the same approach only select Roll back driver.

capnsofa 08:55 13 Oct 06

Can I start by thanking you guys for responding so early in the morning!!!
re ICF: my model is Aspire 1800.
re ened: I have checked Device manager again but, initially, only looked at SOUND VIDEO & GAME CONTROLLERS which contains (a) Audio Codecs; (b) Legacy Audio Drivers; (c) Legacy Video Capture Drivers; (d) Media Control Devices; (e) Video Codecs. None of these appeared to have the details mentioned in previous messages.
However, I have now looked in OTHER DEVICES and have found Multimedia Audio Controller which does contain these details, but before takng any action, I would appreciate your confirmation that this is the one I should be working on.
Thanks for all your advice.

ened 12:34 13 Oct 06

To confirm you have the correct device: when you right click just select Properties.

ICF 15:56 13 Oct 06

All your drivers for your Acer 1800 can be found here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5