Loss of Search for Files and Folders.

Chattyone2 12:25 22 Oct 05

I have lost the above from my computer. Using Windows XP Pro....at the same time I am unable to do a system restore. It goes through the motions but then comes back saying unable to restore try another point. I have tried some 14 times without success. When I insert my disc it states that the version I am using is more upto date than the disc... Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

MAJ 12:33 22 Oct 05

Try reinstalling the Seach Assitant by going to your C:\WINDOWS\inf folder, locate the "Srchasst.inf" file, right-click on the Srchasst.inf file and choose "Install" from the menu.

splork 12:38 22 Oct 05

This may not be the cause of the problem, but if you have the old Windows 9x Tweakui on the system, make sure Show Search Results on Desktop is ticked. click here
I realise there is a TweakUI for XP but the older one works on XP too.

Chattyone2 18:28 22 Oct 05

When I right click on Srchasst in C:windows there is no file called Srchasst.inf only Srchasst. and when i click on thsat there is no file called install. Could this be the problem that the install file has disappeared.

Chattyone2 18:30 22 Oct 05

Sorry but there is no TweakUI that i can find...thanks for the suggestion...
Chattyone

VoG II 18:30 22 Oct 05

Try a repair click here

MAJ 20:11 22 Oct 05

"When I right click on Srchasst in C:windows there is no file called Srchasst.inf only Srchasst. and when i click on thsat there is no file called install"

1. The file is in the C:\WINDOWS\inf, folder, not the C:\WINDOWS folder. But it looks like you have found it anyway. If it is in the C:\WINDOWS folder on your computer, move it to the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder.

2. It also looks like you have file extensions hidden so that you can't see the ".inf" bit, you can only see the filename (Srchasst). To fix that (although it's not necessary to), go to (while in the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder) Tools > Folder Options > View tab and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types" option, click Apply and OK to exit. Close and re-open Windows explorer.

3. Now go back to the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder, locate the "Srchasst.inf" file again and **RIGHT-click** on it and choose "Install".

Chattyone2 13:23 24 Oct 05

I checked and the Hide extentions was not ticked.

The only files and folders in there are :
Two folders chars and mui
The four files are :

msg3en.dll srchctls.dll schui.dll nls302en

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac