Loss of Internet ethernet box problem

castiel333 22:45 05 Apr 11

Hi

I was at work and my colleague and I moved my desk that had a few wires tangled around it, and now none of the computers have internet (total of 5 that are part of a network). There are no loose wires, (spent 3 hours looking) and really cannot understand what the problem is. There is a box that says Ethernet on it with lights numbered 1 - 4, and small silver box and another slightly larger silver box.

This is going to cause serious problems at work tomorrow, (and we could get in trouble) so very worried about this.

Can anyone please please help!

Thank you

robin_x 23:21 05 Apr 11

Computer Administrators fault for bad cabling management. Desks are movable items.

Just fess up and apologise anyway.

I shorted out a photocopier once and it tripped the breaker. Also supplying power to the switchboard
(small company). So no phone calls for two hours till we found the correct fusebox (there were 5 of the buggers).

Embarrassing, but I didn't get fired.

MAJ 23:25 05 Apr 11

It sounds as though you have a wired network and the main incoming signal has been interrupted. It's possible that you have damaged, or pulled out, the incoming ethernet cable when the table was moved. If the ethernet cable has a loose wire to the jack plug then that cable will need to be replaced. Don't worry too much, own up to it and your IT team will fix it in five minutes tomorrow morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…