Loss of internat connection

I lose internet connection from both IE7 & Firefox. When this happens other things such as ipconfig & task manager don't work. Rebooting gets thing going again, but it's a bit of pain. Attempts to repair the conection fail with a message that it cannot query TCP/IP. The OS is XP SP2. Any suggestions as to cause and possible cure?

birdface 12:30 25 Mar 08

Try Control Panel.Network Connections.Right click local area connection and press repair.See if it shows any problems.

alan2273 12:45 25 Mar 08

You could also try this program.

click here

Attempting to repair the connection gets the response that it failed to query TCP/IP settings for the connection - for unspecified reason. I'm trying the program suggested by alan2273 and will post the results when I see whether or not it works.

birdface 13:17 25 Mar 08

Googled.click here=

brundle 13:38 25 Mar 08

Reset TCP/IP

Start menu/run, type

cmd

at the command prompt type

netsh interface ip reset >c:\resetlog.txt

press return

reboot pc

If I understand correctly, resetting TCP/IP is a way of recovering the connection. This seems to happen anyway on a reboot. It would be nice to find some way of not losing the connection in the first place.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 25 Mar 08

wire or wireless connection?

If wireless, use a different channel other systems may be interfering with the routers default channel causing signal loss and drop out.

Its a wired connection. I now find that netsh doesn't work when the problem occurs. I get the error message: 'application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000142'

birdface 15:40 26 Mar 08

Googled.click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5