Loss of homepage

Gymy 20:08 13 May 07

The homepage on my Mum's PC seems to have been hijacked. It goes to load up - but instead loads a site that seems to be selling internet security: //asecurityupdate.com.

We went into Internet options to ensure that the usual homepage (virgin media) was the default. It was listed but the 'current' option had been greyed out and if you click on default, it goes to the unwanted site.

I have run Spybot Search and Destroy but nothing was found. I also did a system scan and nothing was found.

Mum tried to restore the PC back to before this happened but could not do so.

Any ideas please?

skidzy 20:12 13 May 07

Has mum downloaded anything recently ?

Try using Winpatrol to control your system changes but first look here for some things to try click here

Winpatrol free click here

rdave13 20:36 13 May 07
  Gymy 09:58 15 May 07

We went into the Adaware site and have downloaded SpywareBot. It found lots of problems which we have cleared, but it has not sopped this particular problem.

We went into HIJACKTHIS and Malwareremoval - but to be honest we didn't have a clue what to do. A bit too advanced for us. Any other suggestions?

At the moment we are looking at restoring the system to day one.

rdave13 16:16 15 May 07

If reseting Internet explorer doesn't help then try downloading superantispyware (free version) then update and run full scan. click here .
This program also protects your homepage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…