Loss of .exe programmes

Wally 09:57 26 Sep 03

I have had a worm virus, an swen.exe, and having removed it I find that I can no longer open any .exe programmes. They are still there because when I open a Publisher folder it opens correctly. How can I get my .exe including Windows explorer back? I use Windows XP Home Edition. Wally

Gongoozler 10:21 26 Sep 03
  MAJ 10:22 26 Sep 03

Are you sure you've removed Swen completely, Wally? How did you remove it? click here Have you checked to see that all remnants of it are gone? click here

Did you disable System Restore to flush your restore points?

JIM 10:24 26 Sep 03

After doing a sfc /scannow (having your win xp ready)see if any improvement.Failing that would suggest you do a windows xp repair/upgrade over the top of exsiting files.You may have to reinstall Publisher and other stand alone program plus the service pack for winXP + some updates.

Depending on dammage from virus and the state of your ststem,

if that does not succeed suggest backup your personal files and other items required and do a fresh install/format drive and again reload everything.

Gongoozler 10:24 26 Sep 03
  MAJ 10:27 26 Sep 03

Yeah that's a puke, Gongoozler, use this click here

Gongoozler 10:28 26 Sep 03

What a mess! I would have thought that by now PCA could have got this sorted out. What the link originally had was the http bit followed by the bit starting with www and finishing with mm.html.

Wally 11:21 26 Sep 03

fixed. Thanks to all who assisted me. Wally

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009