Loss of Audio

Nero6 15:52 22 Jan 07

Two days ago I lost audio on my computer and to solve the problem I decided to use System Restore.
With the first 5 Restore Points I used (All in January)I was unsuccessful, getting a message that they could not be used.I then went back to late December and successfully restored the system including the audio.
This afternoon I lost the audio again and recovered it by restoring the system to yesterday.
Can anyone tell me what is happening?

wilkiewonder 16:10 22 Jan 07

i have had this problem before and it turned out to be a virus which stopped the sound card driver working, just doing system restore just restored the virus to and earlier time too, do a full system virus scan and see if it picks anything up also uninstalling the sound card then reboot the sound card will be picked up by the os and reinstall its self, if it doesnt then download the driver from driverguide.com hope this helps its what i did and it worked

skidzy 16:24 22 Jan 07

There is a chance of missing or broken audio codecs,try the k-lite pack click here

Also check device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks.

eedcam 18:15 22 Jan 07

Have you just done a windows auto update this can cause this problem if so stop the auto update and reboot Do your updates manually

Nero6 18:23 22 Jan 07

Thank you wilkiewonder and skidzy.
I have run a virus scan which has found nothing.
There are no yellow exclamation marks.
I still have sound at the moment so I think I shall sit tight for the time being.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…