loss of all desktop icons

lindamay 07:07 06 Jun 04

running win98 i uninstalled my printer now when i sart up windows loads but ends up with just a blank screen in my normal background couler but no icons not even the start button can anyone help ?

john-232317 07:38 06 Jun 04

Not really gend up on this one,but are you sure windows is loading, maybe its just the splash screen.

can you right click on it and get any responce on the desktop ?

john-232317 08:05 06 Jun 04

Have you tried to start PC with a bootup floppy disk, available here if you have not got one....

click here

Dorsai 11:49 06 Jun 04

i have 98 at work. I am sure i remember a setting in 'display properties' under the 'web' tab that lets you turn desktop icons off. quite why you would want ot do this is beyond me though! will your start menu come up if you press the start button, or is the pc compleatly dead?

john-232317 14:14 06 Jun 04

Yeah your right, its in display props-effects-tick box to hide icons when viewed as web page, maybe it is being viewed as web page, but....there is no start on her? screen either, unless it takes everything off desktop.

Right click and see if you can access desktop and untick the box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…