losing network connection!

nhojnhoj35 21:31 10 Jan 07

HI,
I am having a problem with my home pc which is infuriating me!
I have broadband and am using a wireless router.
I have had this problem both with pipex and sky broadband using three different routers so I think it is a pc problem.

What happens is that every now and again, maybe once a day or so, sometimes a few times a day, my pc just loses its internet connection.
the connection is still there because I can use my laptop wirelessly. also my pc reports it has a connection but it just doesnt connect to the internet. the only way I can seem to restore the connection is to reboot the pc which can be incredibly annoying and generally happens at a very inconvenient time.
the pc is hardwired to the router.

any ideas anyone??? thx :-)

Joe R 21:46 10 Jan 07

nhojnhoj35,

what firewall do you use.?, and what security setting does it run on.?

nhojnhoj35 22:41 10 Jan 07

Hi Joe,
I have zone alarm free version, it is on the custome settings. internet lock is off

Technotiger 22:46 10 Jan 07

Hi, I may be miles off the mark, but, I assume you do have 'Never dial a connection' ticked in your PC's Internet Connection tab!

Joe R 22:52 10 Jan 07

nhojnhoj35,

It may not help but (i use the same firewall on my home network) can you open program control in your firewall, and allow access (internet and trusted) to application layer gateway service, generic host process for win32 services and LSA shell (export version).

As I say, it may not solve your particular problem, but solved a similar one for myself.

Good luck and regards. Joe.

nhojnhoj35 22:57 10 Jan 07

Hi,
Yes, all settings seem fine. It runs fine for hours or days sometimes then sometimes I hear the cpu starts to chug, then it pauses, then chugs again and hey presto! connection gone

Technotiger 23:03 10 Jan 07

Hmm, I don't think a healthy cpu should 'chug'. Perhaps a bit of pc mainentance is in order? Mainly clearing out dust build-up etc, especially around the cpu and fans, and making sure all internal connections are in order.

nhojnhoj35 00:18 11 Jan 07

perhaps i misled you with the `chug`. i just meant its busy doing something!

@joe. all above are allowed by firewall

dougle00 00:27 11 Jan 07

I had similar probs with my laptop (till my mrs spilt coke over it) but I discovered it was my digisender for the tele was interfeering with it. I turned the sender off and hey presto, no more probs.

terryf 00:49 11 Jan 07

My son had problems with his wireless router until he set it to search for a channel automatically instead of a fixed channel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5