Losing HDD space

denali 19:18 05 Nov 03

Any one help please.

I have a 28.5 hard drive and the most space I have ever taken up is 2.3.

I switched my pc on this morning to do maintence and my hard drive now reads used space 18.333. free space 10.006. All I have saved to my drive in the past month is one letter.
Anyone have any idea what is happening?

many thanks

powerless 19:20 05 Nov 03

Which Operating system are you using?

denali 19:23 05 Nov 03

Sorry powerless. Its 98se

woodchip 19:27 05 Nov 03

Go to find files from the start button where under Advanced you can tell it to look for files above a given size. You may find some big temp or bak files

powerless 19:29 05 Nov 03

Run Scandisk, in THOROUGH mode. If scandisk keeps restarting, restart the computer in safe mode. To do this when the computer is starting keep tapping the F8 key and choose SAFE MODE.

Then if that does not solve it... At the top of this page click, Tools, Internet Options... Delete Files and tick the box next to "Delete all off line content"

Then go to start, run, type:

%temp%

Click ok.

Send these files to the recycle bin but do not delte them. Just see how much space the temp files take up.

denali 19:38 05 Nov 03

I found some large BAK files.
Will it cause a problem if I remove them?

denali 19:44 05 Nov 03

Powerless & woodchip.

Thank you both. I will try everything and let you know

woodchip 19:45 05 Nov 03

Do not remove the System folder that is a Bak Folder, not a Bak file but you should be able to delete any other bak files without any problems

denali 09:29 06 Nov 03

powerless & woodchip

Thank you both for your help.
I have the answer just in case some other idiot asks the same question!
I casually asked my daughter (aged 12) if she had done anything to the pc. "not really, but I did copy 3 CDs for Portia (her friend).
She did it thru win media player and consequently I ended up with 3 complete CDs on my hard disk. They are now removed and I am back to normal.

Once again. Thank you both

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…