Losing Freeview Signal

Commander Straker 17:29 06 Feb 08

Not really PC related but see what you think.

I have Roof top digital Aerial which splits in the loft. One branch goes to an amplifier and serves 2 TVs with Digiboxes and 1 PC with DTV card - no picture problems.

Other branch goes to an amplifier serving 3 TVs. two work fine but the new Samsung LCD with integrated receiver has a problem.

Every so often the picture will pixelate and then freeze. Changing channel produces a 'No Signal' message. I have plugged in a loop aerial from an old portable TV and this works fine (we are line of sight to Crystal Palace) so whats going on? Too much signal, not enough, other ? Any thoughts welcome ! Thx

Ashrich 17:35 06 Feb 08

If the Samsung has a amp built in then maybe it is getting too much signal , which can be as bad as not getting enough , and as it works Ok on a loop that may well be the case .

Ashley

Pamy 17:38 06 Feb 08

May be too much signal and neads attenuating, try removing ampifier

octal 17:55 06 Feb 08

Maplin electronics supply attenuators click here

Get a 6db and 12db one and that will give you the range 6, 12, or 18db by putting them in series, that should give enough attenuation.

eedcam 18:10 06 Feb 08

What does the samsung say the signal strength is also does it show signal quality the two are not the same .Oh and there aint no such thing as \ a digital aerial other than what the cowboys advertise

Commander Straker 08:28 07 Feb 08

Cheers guys.........had my suspicions....I'll check that out.

Stuartli 09:12 07 Feb 08

A "digital" TV aerial is merely a wideband aerial.

Does the aerial amplifier feeding the Samsung have the means to adjust the signal strength output?

If so try varying the level to see if it cures the problem; if so try to strike a balance between the three TVs.

Freeview signals are very low strength compared to analogue until the full switchover has been undertaken, so a TV set may be working fine one minute and suffering picture breakup the next if the signal is not optimal.

skeletal 10:38 07 Feb 08

I have a complex aerial system including an amplifier/splitter. On one of my many tinkering sessions, I upgraded the quality of the downleads. Much to my disappointment, my son’s laptop/USB tuner system no longer “picked up” ITV.

All the tellys were OK.

It turned out that the new downlead, being better, had increased the signal strength just a bit too much for the USB tuner which resulted in the total “loss” of signal.

We fitted an attenuator to the USB tuner and it cured the problem.

Bizarre but true!

Skeletal

Gongoozler 10:48 07 Feb 08

The reason too much signal is a problem is that until the analogue signal is switched off in your area, the digital signal is severely attenuated to prevent it interfering with the analogue. The strong analogue signal can easily swamp the tuner preventing it properly detecting the much weaker digital signal. All will come right (so they tell us) when the analogue signal is eventually switched off, and the digital signals are transmitted at full strength - another 4 years in my area )-:.

Stuartli 11:13 07 Feb 08

The signal strength of the digital transmissions in my area (from Winter Hill) are 1.87 per cent of the analogue transmitter level...:-)

eedcam 12:10 07 Feb 08

Again signal strength is not the be and end all you can have full or good signal strength but if the signal quality is poor you can have problems. Alas some receivers only show strength

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now