Losing Freeview signal

Vanstuud 17:33 02 Jan 07

I have a Panasonic integrated Freeview TV. When recording a programme onto video I have to leave the TV on so I don't lose the digital signal otherwise I just have a blank screen on video playback.

Am I doing something wrong or have I just connected the cables in the wrong combination?

Jackcoms 17:40 02 Jan 07

No, you're not doing anything wrong.

However, a bog standard VHS video recorder will only record analogue signals when the TV is switched off.

To record digital programmes and switch the TV off (or watch another channel) you need a dedicated Freeview recorder or Digital Video Recorder click here

Gongoozler 17:42 02 Jan 07

If the Freeview is integrated in the TV set, then I would expect the TV to have to be left on to receive and decode the signal.

Graham. 17:42 02 Jan 07

I would think the Freeview receiver needs power from the TV to function. Anything in the User Guide?

Stuartli 18:31 02 Jan 07

>>However, a bog standard VHS video recorder will only record analogue signals when the TV is switched off.>>

I'm puzzled by this statement Jackcoms..:-)

I regularly record one programme on my Mitsubishi VCR whilst watching another on the TV, whether the latter is an analogue or Freeview set top box programme.

In fact the VCR's aerial input is from the set top box before carrying on to feed the TV's input.

Jackcoms 18:53 02 Jan 07

I have the same 'problem' as Vanstuud, hence my statement!

My wiring is as follows:

Lead from rooftop aerial to 'aerial in' on video recorder.

Lead from 'aerial out' on video recorder to 'aerial in' on TV with integrated Freeview.

Scart from AV2 on Video recorder to AV2 on TV.

Stuartli 21:19 02 Jan 07

See:

click here

I've forgotten in the case of my Pioneer set top box, because I have an analogue TV and VCR, the box converts the digital signal to analogue so that the programmes can be viewed...:-(

This is why the IDTV has to be turned off to record analogue channels.

Stuartli 21:24 02 Jan 07

This could be the answer to your problem (first class products from this company):

click here

Vanstuud 09:21 03 Jan 07

Thanks Stuartli,

I've been looking at this Humax PVR in the last day or two.
Plugging this in will obviously negate the need for my integrated Freeview TV but will it definately record the digital signal whilst TV is switched off?

Graham. 09:26 03 Jan 07

Yes, it's a stand-alone device with its own mains supply.

Vanstuud 09:29 03 Jan 07

Thanks Graham,

Getting a PVR sounds like the answer to my problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…