Losing free space on Hard Drive

barrydol 20:18 08 Nov 05

Every day or so I seem to lose 0.1GB free space on my Hard Drive. I assume this is equal to approx 100MB. There's no way I download that amount of music or software etc. Is there a reason for losing this amount of space. I don't have that much space left. Thanks.

CLONNEN 20:21 08 Nov 05

Do you have System Restore turned on? This uses some hard disk space in case you need to revert your system to an earlier time. It regularly creates System Restore points - not sure if it is every day though.

dec0 20:21 08 Nov 05

sounds like spyware mate, i had the same problem, losing lots of space even when i was unistalling big files. try cleaning it completely of spyware if you have a spyware remover

Jackcoms 20:23 08 Nov 05

System Restore does create a restore point every day (when the PC is turned on) and it will equate to approx 100mb for each restore point

barrydol 20:26 08 Nov 05

Clonnen - yes System Restore is always turned on.
dec0 - I do regular sweeps with Webroot and Ad-Aware, usually nothing serious is found.

barrydol 20:32 08 Nov 05

Jackcoms - so System Restore can use 100mb per day? Would I be better switching it off and then turning it on occasionally?

Chegs ® 20:40 08 Nov 05

Right-click My Computer/Properties/Reduce the slider in Sys Res there.

Jackcoms 20:44 08 Nov 05

"Would I be better switching it off and then turning it on occasionally?"

Don't even THINK about switching it off!! It's probably the best insurance policy you have if things suddenly go pear-shaped with your OS.

Are you REALLY worried about 'losing' 100nmb a day??

Try some basic PC housekeeping instead. Clean out the crap with this click here

barrydol 20:50 08 Nov 05

Chegs, thanks for that, whats the minimum I can set it to?
Jackcoms - Over time 100mbs every few days soon mounts up, and as I said I don't have much space left. I do perform basic housekeeping regularly. Thanks for the link, I'll give it a go.

David4637 13:36 09 Nov 05

You can switch it off, which deletes all restore points then switch on again two seconds later, and create a new one immediately. This should recover some lost space. David

plsndrs3 14:01 09 Nov 05

I don't install/uninstall a lot of software so personally, I set mine to 1% of the drive size. Windows will delete 'old' restore points once the size allocated becomes full anyhow and I figure I only need a couple of Restore points at any given time. I believe that you can reduce this to as low as 200Mb [just 2 storage points] if you really need to save space.

The suggestion from David4637 will solve the short term problem, but System Restore will just begin filling up space again, so resetting the space allocated is a better solution.

HTH

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5