Losing files in Windows live mail

Muergo 14:35 11 Feb 11

I am losing some stored messages in Windows Live mail,the header shows what should be stored there but the message just reads "Message can't be found"

Fortunately I haven't cleaned the deleted box so I can get them from there.

Additionally, files are turning up in the wrong folder, how can they be juggled around like that?

This is worrying as I move and/or copy important items from the inbox and rely on them being there.

Are the inbound messages stored somewhere else as Outlook Express used to do?

Again I've been wading through Windows7 inside, Windows7 plain& simple and a couple of other W7 books but can't find anything relevant.

Sea Urchin 15:07 11 Feb 11

You say that you can recover mail from the Delete folder - so presumably you must be deleting them. I don't therefore understand how you then expect to find them in another folder?

>> Are the inbound messages stored somewhere else as Outlook Express used to do? <<

OE stores incoming messages in the Inbox unless you create a message rule to the contrary.

Muergo 18:03 11 Feb 11

What I am doing for messages that need reply or other action is to copy the message to a folder, new if required, that to me, keeps a backup of the original, then when action has been done, maybe days later, delete from the Inbox.
But that should not delete it from the folder should it?

Otherwise I end up with a huge inbox.

The other problem is that files end up in the wrong folder, e.g. I had an Amazon offer in my Scottish power folder but the header to the message was the original Scottish power one.

Another fine mess which may be related, when I create new folders they all end up as sub folders of the main Inbox folder.
How do I get them as discrete stand alone folders.

Sea Urchin 18:12 11 Feb 11

How are you creating the folders? If you right click a blank space below the existing folders and select New Folder then it will set up as a "discrete stand alone" folder

Woolwell 18:44 11 Feb 11

You may well be better off using rules to move the e-mails. I've been trying to find a guide for you but no luck so far.

Woolwell 18:48 11 Feb 11

BTW are you using Live Mail 2011 or not?

Muergo 21:06 11 Feb 11

I do use rules for frequent contacts, putting a copy of each in their box but still having it on inbox.
I have an enormous amount almost three times a day from my friend John Smith who is doing a three week tour of the sights of India and sending a diary with photos, these I must not lose.

Checking on my version but W7 was only put on with all the updates two weeks ago so it should be up to date.

Will investigate both points and revert.

Muergo 21:25 11 Feb 11

Just found out where the Windows Live Mail forum is, and it's packed with complaints about missing and deleted e-mail, some postings very angry, so it would appear there is a current fault which they are trying to repair.

Muergo 21:42 11 Feb 11

Do you think using the area designated "Storage folders" would be more secure rather than in the current files.

Muergo 21:42 11 Feb 11

Do you think using the area designated "Storage folders" would be more secure rather than in the current files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017