Losing connection for no obvious reason

Alf58 01:03 06 Jul 07

Just migrated to ADSL24 from BT hoping to get better connection speeds. Not a bit of it. Late at night my connection not only drops out but the router becomes inoperative. I cant get to the routers home page or even access its line stats. When I had outages with BT I simply lost internet but the rest of the routers fuctions continued to work properly. If I unplug the rounter for a moment it works ok.

Is it a router fault or ADSL 24? If it is a router fault, it is strange that this all starts as soon as I join ADSL 24. Any thoughts?

Strawballs 01:18 06 Jul 07

I can't see how your ISP could stop you accessing your routers setup pages, internet connection yes, are you connected by wire it could just be a coincindence.

ambra4 02:54 06 Jul 07

Try this got it straight from a Openreach (Part of BT) engineer who now work outside UK

Speed/connection problems?

1. Simplify ALL the phone wiring in your house to an absolute minimum. Even sockets with no phones plugged in can cause problems with your ADSL, so disconnect them if you can.

2. Test your router/modem with your pc on the first socket in your house (where the phone line comes into your dwelling) do this with all phones and internal wiring disconnected. (To disconnect internal wiring to test, remove the lower half of the NTE (bt main socket) and plug in on the test socket in behind) this puts you on the end of the BT network. If you cannot get a connection here then LISTEN on the phone line with a single phone in the same test socket for crackling or buzzing. Do this by dialing 17070 and selecting 2. this gives you a quiet line test where you can listen for a bad quality line. (bad line =poor ADSL)

3. If you have no crackling, buzzing, you are on the test socket with your router and still have no connection, try another router. if that still doesn't work,it could be an exchange problem. Contact your service provider (can be a hassle i know,but who else can you go to?) and insist you have tried everything your end to get a connection. Exchange problems do occur from time to time.

4. If you can get a connection at the test socket but nowhere else on your internal wiring, you have a problem with that wiring.
The number of people I have visited that tell me 'I have no problems with my wiring' only for me to see trapped wiring under doors, carpets and other high traffic areas, wires that have been stretched to hell to reach pc's/router/phones. damp sockets, damaged internal wiring, ancient phones, incorrectly plugged in wiring/old modem cables/modem cables plugged into network ports in routers. All these add up to YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

5. CHECK,CHECK and CHECK again for all of these problems. Any of these issues can and will cause you to have broadband problems.
6. How far are you from your serving exchange? Do you know where it is? The further you live from the exchange the less speed you will get and the more likely you are to have connection problems. rural areas are even more prone. 7-8km is about the limit in my opinion for a decent service.

Hope this helps!

Alf58 18:01 06 Jul 07

My router plugs directly into the test socket, we have no extensions. I am 1.3 Kilometres from the exchange.

ambra4 18:19 06 Jul 07

What is the make and model of router

Alf58 20:04 06 Jul 07

Belkin F5D7632uk4

ambra4 22:14 06 Jul 07

Go into the router setup

Click Internet setting ATM PVC setting will appear

In the first line the router setting, under Configure EDIT in red

Click EDIT and ATM Interface will be display

Is there a Connect Type setting?

Should read Always Connected

Idle Time Set to 0

Save and log out of router

See if this solves your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017