Losing connection between router and modem

Luthien 13:04 08 Jun 05

Hi guys, looking for your expert opinion and advice again. My laptop has Windows XP Home, my Router is a BT Voyager and modem a motorola surfboard, sb55 I think.

I periodically have to repair the wireless connection via windows, sometimes even having to reboot the modem, router and pc in that order! The laptop is reading the router but there is a connection lost between the router and modem. I don't think it's the router's firewall and security, but I'm not at all sure about these things. All I know is, it's annoying to have to reset every so often.

Any help gratefully received as always.

Strawballs 00:42 09 Jun 05

Have you thought about buying a router with a builtin modem

Smickers 16:08 09 Jun 05

Hi

If you are having to do a repair then that would suggest loosing the ip address. This could be because DHCP has stopped on the router and re-booting it starts it up again. Re-booting the pc will then acquire the new address and you're back to normal.

My first step would be to upgrade the firmware on the wireless router. You may as well do the modem while you're at it. Upgrading the firmware usually sorts these kind of problems. Another cause would be if there was another DHCP device - this would cause a conflict with the similar results but not likely in your set up.

Do a google search with the product details and the word firmware or contact BT (good luck...you'll need it).

Let us know how you get on.

simon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…