Lose wireless connection despite full signal.

Badgeriffic 13:29 16 Apr 08

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with my wireless connection and unfortunately seem to be the only one in my house that is experiencing this.

We have a relatively new Netgear wireless connection set as WEP and I have no problem connecting to the network. The problem is that after a short period of time browsing the net my connection times-out, despite showing full signal strength. As previously stated, I am the only one out of 5 in my house with this problem. I can solve the problem by restarting my laptop (HP Pavillion dv5000), only for it to occur again after 5 minutes or so. I don't think that my settings are set to timeout my connection after a period of inactivity and even if they were, my connection times-out while I am actively trying to see web-pages.

I have read these forums and noted suggestions such as re-installing my network card, which I will try this evening - but any other advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dan.

T0SH 16:06 16 Apr 08

Check and turn off any power management settings in your wireless card properties for settings like "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" or the likes

Cheers HC

Ashrich 19:25 16 Apr 08

Find the make of your wireless adapter and go to the manufacturers web site and get the latest drivers for it ( not from the HP site though ) , and if it isn't already , try letting Windows manage the connection .

Ashley

setecio 22:38 16 Apr 08

Badgeriffic 11:07 24 Apr 08

Hello all,

Thanks you for your suggestions. I spend an entire evening deleting applications from my laptop and re-starting to see if that worked and after sweat, tears & the odd fit of rage, I found out that it was ZoneAlarm that was the problem. I hadn't touched it for ages, but for some reason it was obviously not liking the new router.

Thanks all.

Dan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…