Lord Of The Rings Crashes

Ironman556 22:06 13 Jan 03
  Ironman556 22:06 13 Jan 03

Hi, I got Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring for Christmas. My Graphics card couldn't support it, so it prompted me to buy a new one.

I've installed my new Albatron GF4 Ti4200, installed LOTR game, and it couldn't find a 3D Accelerator. I've not got the drivers from the Albatron site and have installed them. I can now get the game to the menu's and click start new game, at which point it comes up loading, finishes loading, the screen goes black & computer freezes.

All other games run perfectly (and with great graphics :-D)

The only things that I can think of is sound drivers out of date, but would that make it crash? I'd like to leave the sound drivers 'til later if possible as I've had installation problems before with the sound card. (Think that was a conflict with the old ATI Rage Fury Pro though). And that I'm running a PIII 500, when the minimum for the game is 600MHz, but I'm not sure that this could be the problem either. Any other ideas? Thanks.

PIII 500, 384 MB SD RAM, GF4 Ti4200, SBLive! Value.

northamuk 22:18 13 Jan 03
  pinka 13:31 15 Jan 03

from the problems ive had id say it is down to your processor , time for an upgrade on that before your sound card i think .
ps. would you say the albatron is a good buy im eyeing up either that or the gainward ti4200 i can get either for £105 would you say theyre worth it?

pinka 13:33 15 Jan 03

thinking about it are the drivers for your card compatable and tested for your os , this can sometimes do it. if it is look in albatrons driver archives and go for one of the older ones.

instant^mash 13:40 15 Jan 03

I agree, out with the old, in with the new!

Btw - if you are going to buy a gf4ti4200 - get one with 128MB and x8 AGP, that way your future-proofed for a-bit (which is what I've got, lol)

barrie_g 14:20 15 Jan 03

"I'm running a PIII 500, when the minimum for the game is 600MHz"

I think you just answered your own question.

pinka 14:37 15 Jan 03

ive read that the 128mb is slower than the 64mb as far as frames per second go because they use slower memory 4.ns rather than the 3.5ns of the 64mb , also will the 8xagp be compatable with a k7s5a

platty100 15:02 15 Jan 03

ihave got a GF4 Ti4200 and installed the game and the graphics where terrible ( i had got the 40.72 drivers installed) i downloaded the 41.09 and it played perfectly,also know someone else who were having problems with the game told them what i had done and it cured thier problem. worth a try
you can get them here
click here

Ironman556 18:47 15 Jan 03

Thanks, I thought it may be processor, but I've been ablew to run UT2003 (min 733Mhz), and Warcraft 3 (min 600Mhz I think), and that was on my old ATI 16Mb card... I've not tried them with my new card as I'd borrowed them, and have returned them now.

I'm happy with my GF4... not sure how much difference there is between the Gainward and the Albatron though. I paid £120 for mine, but decided to get it from a local retailer as I've never upgraded/fitted a video card before, and wanted to have someone I could actually go to if I had trouble, (Didn't realise fitting would be so easy). The Albatron came with Intervideo DVD software and 2 games, Serious Sam & Motocross Mania.

Ironman556 19:14 15 Jan 03

Should have said: "I HAVE got...", so I assume that they've tested then for 98SE before releasing them. The one's there are 40.72. I have tried the drivers that came with the card too. 40.72 fixed the problem of LOTR not being able to dertect a 3D accelerator when I tried to configure the graphics options

I've also had Serious Sam crashing at set places, which I wouldn't expect as it was part of the bundle. The min processor for that is PII/Celeron 300MHZ, so would that suggest it's probably somthing else?

(Pinka, sorry didn't really answer your question, yes it's a great card well worth upgrading to ;-).. I know other people who have them and they've had no probs)

Thanks to everyone... Ironman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…