Loopback of pop. in Outlook express

skidzy 20:11 11 Sep 06

I have exactly the same problem as click here

Loopback to 127.0.0.1 from pop.wanadoo.co.uk

This has gone on now for several months,and just can not get my head around it.

I have followed the solution posted by Willow12.

However this worked for a while,but now when i reboot i have the problem back.

I have to manually configure OE with pop.wanadoo.co.uk every time.Now this isnt a major issue ..just inconvienient.

Ive tried an OE repair and tinkered with Mcafee settings.

I know the problem lies with Mcafee,but as this came preinstalled,i do not want to get rid of this just yet.Well not untill it expires.
Ive looked around the Mcafee forums and basically just came up with Willow12 suggestion.

So how do i stop the loopback address of 127.0.0.1

xp home sp2
Clean system (im a bit paranoid of the nasties)Lol

All advice welcome and very much appreciated.

Thankyou Skidzy

VoG II 20:17 11 Sep 06

Yjere's a lot about this on Google e.g. click here

skidzy 20:26 11 Sep 06

Cheers VoG™ i had seen that and been through Google a hundred times or more :-))

Like your link suggest's,disable Email scanning.Though i havn't tried this im reluctant to do so.

Im just hoping someone or your kind self will come up with another solution thats not involving disabling the Mcafee security.

Something i may try is to disable the spamkiller,this is something i can live without if i have to,as i can control the little spam i get.

Thanks again VoG™

VoG II 20:28 11 Sep 06

This click here is the article that I was looking for. It may reassure you about e-mail scanning. (I missed it as first in the list!).

skidzy 20:57 11 Sep 06

Ok VoG™,turned off Outbound and Inbound scanning and disabled Spamkiller,rebooted and still the same.

These i have tried before and got the same results.

Like i said earlier,i just cannot get my head around this problem.

Maybe it is time to go back to the old faithful of Zonealarm and AVG Lol :-)))

Thanks again for the support VoG™

One thing that has sprung to mind.

As this is the laptop that is in question,could it be possible that a conflict with the wireless connection that was setup on the delivery day at a different address,and at this time is connected via a speedtouch modem.

At the wireless address,i use webmail to collect the email,here at home i use OE.

Not sure if i understand what i am writing here,hope you do !

Basically could it be a conflict between the options i have to access the internet on this laptop.

At this time the wireless is disabled.

VoG II 21:09 11 Sep 06

Hmm. I don't think that this has anything to do with it being a wireless connection - it shouldn't make any difference.

I'm wondering if this is a hosts file problem - hosts can use the 127.0.0.1 loopback address to block pop-ups and nasty sites but also legitimate ones as well if they get included in the hosts file.

You will need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders:

1. Click Start.
2. Click My Computer.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. Select the View Tab.
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Click OK.

(Sorry if you knew thast!)
Then go to

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

and look for a file called hosts (no file extension). Try renaming it to hosts.old (or whatever) then rebooting.

skidzy 21:24 11 Sep 06

Ok, i have one reference to the hosts file click here

Hope the Imageshack link works,always seem to get a problem or two.

If it is working ok,do you mean rename the first one shown to hosts.old

Cheers again VoG™

VoG II 21:26 11 Sep 06

Yep - first one shown to be renamed.

skidzy 21:36 11 Sep 06

Still no joy VoG™,its a baffling one :-))) still have to manually configure the pop. address.

Maybe its time to for Zonealarm !!

VoG II 21:41 11 Sep 06

Sorry - I'm stuck. I have McAfee anti-virus and firewall (nothing else). I don't have this problem and everything is enabled except outgoing e-mail scan.

skidzy 21:46 11 Sep 06

I shall carry on tinkering with Mcafee,nothing new there !

Il leave this unresolved for now just in case another idea comes along VoG™.

If i come across a solution,i will post it.Im sure there will be several parties interested.

Thankyou for all your help VoG™,its very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…