Looking to upgrade my Desktop PC into a 1080p Gaming PC?

TheKevinFang 14:30 17 May 15

Hello,

I have this desktop PC:

click here has an i5-4440 3.1GHz CPU with 8GB RAM but only has HD 4600 intergrated graphics. I struggled to run games for example Watch Dogs at 720p 30FPS... I would like to upgrade my PC into one which can handle 1080p, at least 30FPS (preferably 60FPS) at high/ultra settings.

My question is, can the HP made desktop handle upgrades, e.g. power supply or cooling restraints. I wouldn't want to buy another PC as I spent a good chunk of my money on this, back when I wasn't into gaming as much.

What graphics card do you recommend? I am looking at the R9 290X and the Geforce GTX 970 at the moment, would the graphics card alone make my computer good for gaming, or would I need to upgrade the CPU as well? Help out a newbie please...

Thanks,

Kevin

It

mart7 19:03 17 May 15

Definitely gonna need a bigger psu,the nvidia gtx 970 needs a minimum 500w psu

mart7 19:05 17 May 15

See here

click here

Ian in Northampton 08:49 18 May 15

As mart7 says: the PSU is the big issue here. But: replacing it with one big enough to handle a high end graphics card should be neither difficult nor too expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…