looking to starts career

pupkevicius 11:35 03 Jun 09

hi, i am 22 years old and looking to start a career in computer programming, i would like to find out what courses ( 1 year) are best to get a quick start and what programming languages are employers seeking most,

what books do i need to buy, any usefull links u guys can give, thanks

are the microsoft certification courses any good?

tullie 11:45 03 Jun 09

Have you tried your local college?

lotvic 17:59 03 Jun 09

Your local college as tullie said is your best bet for information and support and cheaper.
Whatever you do Don't use Skillstrain it leaves you seriously out of pocket with useless certificates - see thread click here

Pineman100 14:40 04 Jun 09

Here's a free first lesson for you.

The Shift key (an up-arrow) gives you capital letters.

;o)

OTT_Buzzard 16:20 04 Jun 09

Typing your post in Word first will give a grammar check as well ;) Just kidding, I'm more guilty than most for typos as I keep missing the 'i' key on my keyboard!!

Anyway; there are a multitude of programming languages out there and the one's that are sought after vary by employer. Amongst the most common are, in no particular order:

Java
php
html
C, C++
VB
flash
blah blah blah....click here for a long list of others including some not-so-common one's.

...and this excludes companies that use their own programming proprietory languages.

The MS certifications are very good if you take the right one for the career that you want to go into, especially if you have no previous demonstratable experience.

As for books, I'd recommend going in to a book shop and flicking through some. Two books on the same language can be written in very different ways, so you need to find one that suits your learning style.

Sparkly 19:36 04 Jun 09

Hi pupkevicius to add to lotvic's link you might want to take a look at this click here will give you an insight to the company run the video.

OTT_Buzzard 21:21 04 Jun 09

just watched the link you posted. It's always difficult to tell from this kind of 'review' as to how unbiased it's been, especially when they really didn't dedicate any time to The Skills Train' response.

Still, if I was looking for a training course to do, it would be enough to put me off!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…