Looking for a script

murgle 21:56 30 Nov 04

Hi,

I would like to add a function to my website which allows my customers to view delivery charges based on the county they live in.

For example, I supply pre owned Japanese imported cars all over the UK. Ideally I would like a script that could allow me to add all the uk counties and attach a delivery charge to the various counties.

If anybody can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Kind regards
Ian

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:00 30 Nov 04

that a database would be your best bet PHP,SQL,ASP? I'l leave it to the experts to give a more detailed response!

Taran 02:42 01 Dec 04

You certainly could use a database, but you could also simply block things together in a static HTML table or use a script.

Example: would any of the 13 different counties within Wales have a greatly differing delivery charge or could you apply a blanket charge to a region instead of based on county ?

You could start to narrow things down dramatically by saying delivery costs to Wales are X, North East England is Y, North West England is Z and so on.

There are any amount of JavaScripts that can fill a textarea with content based on Listbox selection. You could have a drop down listbox for England, Scotland and Wales and each listbox would have the counties for that area. On selecting one of the options in the drop down listbox, an amount is displayed based on the selection.

I really don't think that a database is necessary, although if you want to add this into some sort of commerce operation at some stage then it would make sense to build it into a data driven application at some point.

click here for a list of British counties. It could easily be displayed as three table matrices, one for England, Scotland and Wales respectively, with each one listing the relevant delivery costs.

No programming hassles involved.

T

Forum Editor 07:04 01 Dec 04

Do it in tables. If the number of counties leads to long tables you can always add a drop-down menu for each section (England, Wales, Scotland) and let the user jump to the appropriate section from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…