Looking at photo files on TV

sheila.weston 17:37 17 Aug 03

Can someone tell me how I can watch jpg (and other graphic) files on the TV. We have a 1.6 giga Maxdata laptop and I have bought a SCART lead, but how do I attach it? There is a SCART plug on the TV. Can it be plugged directly into this or does it have to go through the FREEVIEW box first?

I was hoping to copy the graphic files from my Desktop onto a CD and put the disk into the laptop DVD viewer and watch them direct from that. Is this practical?
Sheila

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:44 17 Aug 03

Most modern DVD players will play JPEGS as a slideshow from a CD,check the manual.

G

y_not 22:56 17 Aug 03

Alternatively, (and giving more control over timings, adding music tracks etc.) you could try Ulead DVD Picture show - don't be fooled by the title - it works with SVCD's, VCD's & DVD's.

You can download a free trial version click here and, if it works in your DVD player (works in most but not all) buy it for about 30 quid.

User-312386 23:42 17 Aug 03

have you got Nero?

It can make svcd's and vcd's will which work in modern DVD players

sheila.weston 10:13 18 Aug 03

Yes, I have Nero and have copied the files onto a CDROM, but I want to show them on the TV screen in the sitting room.It is easier to share them with friends and family this way, instead of standing around my computer(s).

What I want to know is how to connect the SCART lead - is it plugged directly into the SCART socket on the back of the TV? The files will be in a Digital format (presumably?) and I don't want to damage the TV or the laptop if the plug on the TV monitor is for analogue transmission (whatever that means!).

Many thanks

Sheila

HighTower 13:13 18 Aug 03

Do you have a stand alone DVD player? Or are you connecting the laptop to the TV? Have you successfully conected the laptop to the TV before or are you attempting this for the first time?

User-312386 17:53 18 Aug 03

if you use Nero Express, which is part of the Nero package, then you can use the DVD in the "TV screen in the sitting room"

madboy33

sheila.weston 19:38 18 Aug 03

No, I haven't a standalone DVD player. I want to connect the laptop to the TV with my CD in the DVD drive of the laptop.

I have one of those boxes which were on special offer from Currys (UK) last year for £100 and we use it to look at the Freeview channels, but it hasn't a DVD drive. I am wondering if the SCART lead should be connected to the back of THIS (which is itself connected to the TV), but do not want to 'break' something.

HighTower 13:50 20 Aug 03

It sounds like you have only one SCART socket on your TV. You can buy a SCART switch, a bit like a power socket extension cable but for SCART sockets where you can plug up to 3 scart cables (one from your freeview, one from your laptop and one spare) into the box. A cable then goes from the box to the tv and you select which device you want to display on the screen.

Go to Maplin's website click here and search for Scart Switching Unit.

With this installed when you want to watch TV you switch to "a", when you want to watch your photo's from your laptop you would switch to "b".
Don't forget to order any additional cables you may need!

sheila.weston 20:55 20 Aug 03

I fear we are not getting very far with this query. It may be because I don't know the right question to ask or the correct jargon! Apologies if so.

Replying to HighTower - Yes, I may have only one socket on the back of the TV (and don't want any more) BUT is it safe to connect it DIRECT to my laptop, or does the signal HAVE to go through the Freeview box first. ie do I have to connect the cable to the SCART socket on the back of the Freeview box rather than the one on the back of the TV?

I'll give this another week to run and then close the thread if we don't get anywhere, but thankyou for taking the time to offer suggestions.

HighTower 11:10 21 Aug 03

The freeview box is purely for your digital TV. That's all it does, the fact it connects by SCART is irrelevent.

I'm guessing that your laptop has a "TV OUT" out of some description and a cable which converts it to a SCART socket. If this is the case then you'll be fine switching off your freeview box & TV, removing the scart cable from the TV and connecting your laptop to the TV then turning the TV back on so you can view your images.

The switch box simply makes this unplugging and plugging in business irrelevant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…