Looking for "Desktop" icon

Fastflys 17:39 02 Apr 05

I’m using a company laptop running Win 2000 pro.

Can anybody tell me where I can find “Desktop” so that I can make a shortcut and place “Desktop” onto the Quick Launch bar.

If I’m using “Word” for example I want to be able to click the “Desktop” icon in the Quick Launch bar so that the screen returns to Desktop.

Hope I’m making sense.

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 17:48 02 Apr 05

click here is for XP but it may work.

jbp1982 17:48 02 Apr 05

Click Start, Run, and type Notepad. Type the following contents into the document.

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file as "ShowDesktop.SCF", Click Start, Run, and type Notepad. Type the following contents into the document.

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file as "ShowDesktop.SCF" [with double-quotes]. Save it to the desktop.

Right click on the quicklaunch area and open folder. Just drag the file you created to there.

I took it from a website ages ago, sorry can't remember which one.

JBP

VoG II 17:48 02 Apr 05

click here is for XP but it may work.

jbp1982 17:51 02 Apr 05

That didn't paste properly. sorry.

Click Start, Run, and type Notepad. Type the following contents into the document.

[Shell]

Command=2

IconFile=explorer.exe,3

[Taskbar]

Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file as "ShowDesktop.SCF" [with double-quotes]. Save it to desktop.

Right click on quicklaunch, then click open folder, drag the file to there.

Fastflys 18:09 02 Apr 05

The laptop is restricted to Administrator only for a number of function changes and downloads are not allowed.

I do remember in the past using Windows Explorer and finding “Show Desktop” in a folder somewhere, I think the method I used was to make a shortcut and drag it onto the quick launch bar.

Any idea what folder "Show Desktop” is contained in?

VoG II 18:15 02 Apr 05

click here gives possible folders.

Fastflys 19:52 02 Apr 05

I’ve read the info from Microsoft’s site.

I’ve looked in recycle bin and found “Show Desktop” which restored itself back into the Quick Launch folder.

I checked the Quick Launch folder and found that the contents are all shortcuts except “Show Desktop”. The icon does not have the shortcut arrow and it’s title is “Show Desktop” not “Shortcut To Show Desktop” also no file extension. In "Properties" the type of file is shown as “Windows Explorer Command”

I’m confused – Is what I’m seeing correct? or should this “Show Desktop” file be in “Windows\Winnt\System 32” folder as Microsoft’s info seems to imply and a shortcut created from it to be placed in the Quick Launch folder.

If that’s correct, then I’m even more confused. If only a shortcut has been deleted from the Quick Launch bar why would you need to create a new “Show Desktop.scf” file. Surely you would go to the System 32 file and simply create another “Show Desktop” shortcut.

Would somebody please look in their System 32 folder and tell me exactly what [if any] “Show Desktop” file they have.

Finally, I’m no I.T. wiz kid and am concerned about placing any file into the System 32 folder. Is this folder not part of Win 2000 pro’s OS. Will the laptop malfunction or crash if the “Show Desktop” file is placed into the System 32 folder if it shouldn’t be.

Advice please.

01chris 22:39 02 Apr 05

right click on the taskbar (grey bit at bottom with start button) and select show the desktop

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:20 02 Apr 05

but try hitting the windows button and D. I know it's not a quicklaunch icon but I think it's quicker

HTH

Tas

Fastflys 23:51 02 Apr 05

Thanks. Didn't know about the Windows Key + D.
It works well.

If possible though I'd like an answer to my post above so if any of you can help me out, I'd be grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…