Look for the simple things!

bretsky 16:06 18 Oct 04

Hi folks, I would like to share this silly thing that happened me today.

I have an Integral 256Mb usb2 flash drive, and this morning I spent about 15 mins trying to work out why it wasn't being recognised in my explor2000 window and that I could not get to my locked personal docs.

It has 2 drives of which 2nd drive is password protected. Upon connecting the usb it showed up the 1st drive as "j" then I clicked on password to get into 2nd drive, this said that the drive was now accessible, but where was it??? hope you are following me so far.

Rebooted a couple of times, same thing, no password protected drive, THEN I noticed a tiny tiny black button at the side of the flash drive with a padlock symbol inscribed and it,it showed that it was locked, and theres me thinking, it was a lock to keep the lid/cap on, but no it locks the operation of the drive, so I clicked back the button to unlock position and hey presto I could see my drive.

And the moral to this story is "Don't panic, just look for the simplest things".

daba 23:54 18 Oct 04

but can't think of a possible use for this switch.

As a 'security' feature, it's useless, anyone could switch it on.

As a 'data-protection' feature, it's useless, because it doesn't let you see the drive at all, let alone see as read-only the files on it.

In effect, it achieves pretty much the same thing as removing/disconnecting the drive....

... any ideas how it could be usefull ?

dan 11 00:10 19 Oct 04

Well unless I have it totally wrong, nothing new there. lol I would of thought that bretsky's flash drive would have been the same as the old floppy disk with a write protection tab, so you don't accidentally overwrite the files, but with the added security of a password protection system.

bretsky's "Don't panic" is the most sound advise you could adhere to.;-)

bretsky 00:10 19 Oct 04

Quiet agree with your comments, hadn't really noticed this switch until this morning and as I said I thought it was something to do with a cap locking device and nothing to do with the security of the device itself.

Anyway, another new thing I learnt today??!!

bretsky :0)

dan 11 00:18 19 Oct 04

Read your thread earlier and brought back embarrassing memories. If I had a penny for every thing staring in my face I'd have

5p lol

probably £50

Good of you to post the encounter. I certainly enjoyed it. 0)

Kate B 15:05 19 Oct 04

oh yeah, this rings a bell ... we struggled for ages to get my router to pick up my ADSL connection. Even an ubergeek friend who works for Google couldn't get the wretched thing to work ... until my other half discovered that some dimwit had plugged it into the wrong side of the splitter. I blame the cat. Needless to say, now up and running perfectly ...

Diemmess 15:21 19 Oct 04

OK - does anyone have a good reason why that switch is there at all?

Mr A! 15:28 19 Oct 04

one on a floppy disk. It is to stop you accidentally writing to the drive!

Sapins 15:40 19 Oct 04

Bet you said "Mi-how"?

bretsky 15:58 19 Oct 04

Ah, I can see this one will run on.

Mr A!, yes I would agree, but it already has a password protected drive partition to which after 6 wrong attempts at the password the drive will automatically reformat itself.

And there is no mention of it in the pdf manual.
Oh well................

bretsky ;0)

Diemmess 16:40 19 Oct 04

Like you bretsky, there were no instructions with the "Transcend JetFlash" within its bubble pack.
The CD contained only the drivers for 98 etc.

I just plugged it in and used it, for about a year until I was getting no-can-do messages and the magic words write protected.......and I took a closer look!

I have seen other threads in this forum in the past with exactly the same problem.

I suppose, to be generous, write protection has its purpose to save frantic file movers from themselves. (But they probably wouldn't stop to protect their data anyway)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…