LONG TIME TO BOOT UP

nobbyhigo 18:29 08 May 06

My daughter has a pent3 600mhz 192 ram running xp pro .The problem is it seems to take an age to boot up the old hard drive light flashes for an age , when loaded web browsing is great, but OE drags its feet loading , it doesnt seem to have the responce it did,I have defragged very little on the hard drive ,cleaned registry, run ADAWARE,
It has AVAST on it i was wondering if it would be better to clean install any suggestions before i do
regards

Jackcoms 18:33 08 May 06

192 RAM??

The preferred minimum to run XP is 512.

Suggest you buy some more RAM.

You might also run msconfig and disable any programs you don't need/want at start up.

Diodorus Siculus 18:39 08 May 06

Certainly the lack of RAM is a big factor; click here
for a list of what's necessary and what can be discarded from startup.

Totally-braindead 18:42 08 May 06

It would run better with more memory as Jackcoms has suggested. If you've got 192mb RAM you must also have onboard graphics which is presumably where the other 64 mb has gone.

nobbyhigo 18:54 08 May 06

To be honest when she got it there was 128mb memory in and i had a stick of 64 and used that and it seemed to be ok.All the same i will take your ideas up and geta stick of 512. I also dont understand how to use the msnconfig Any help there please
regards

VoG II 18:55 08 May 06
  woodchip 19:02 08 May 06

You are on the limit with Ram, I only have 256 in my XP desktop, and a ram program that I use say's that it leaving about 48 Mb free this is without using programs. So a 256 in mine will not come amiss. It will be using your Hard Drive as Virtual ram

woodchip 19:10 08 May 06

Have you checked MSCONFIG to see what is starting at boot? also Services need to be checked as there will be many starting up that's not needed. These can be found in Control Panel under Administrator

Jackcoms 19:20 08 May 06

"Have you checked MSCONFIG"

Read my post of 18:33.

We've already been here.

Diodorus Siculus 22:38 08 May 06

How to use MSCONFIG: NetSquirrel.com
click here

terryf 23:04 08 May 06

If your motherboard will accept it get 2 sticks of 512 mb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…