Long text in Excel

Timoj 09:07 06 Aug 03

Is there any way to write more than 256 characters in one cell? I would need to have a comment box in an Excel spreadsheet with a possibility to write relatively long comments that are visible also on the printed page. I tried to do it by merging several cells to create a box for the comments, but if the comment is longer than 256 characters, only ####### is shown.

If I insert a text box, it is not possible to move with tab from other cells to the comment box. Is text box the only option?

VoG II 09:23 06 Aug 03

A cell can hold up to 32,767 characters but Excel will only display 1024 characters in a cell.

Make sure that the cell is formatted as Text.

Timoj 11:06 06 Aug 03

Thank you for your answer, but my Excel XP only displays 256 characters and the cell is formatted as Text.

Any other ideas?

VoG II 11:19 06 Aug 03

According to click here you should be able to see approx. 1024 characters so I'm not sure why you only see 256.

Megatyte 12:09 06 Aug 03

I've just tried this and it works. Format cells and choose Custom. In the Type box enter "x"(including the quotes).

Format as text seems a bit hit and miss. I've no idea why but, pasting a text document into Excel gives 1024 but entering direct gave me ######.

xania 13:30 06 Aug 03

To insert a line feed within a cell, you need to hold down the <Alt> key when you prress the <enter> key.

Timoj 14:38 06 Aug 03

Thank you Megatyte. I tried formatting as x without quotes and even it works. Sometimes I have a feeling that MS Office programmes really believe they are more clever than their users! Especially Word.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…