Long term use of flash cards

fuggle 18:27 21 Dec 06

Hi
I am thinking of building a cheap PC for internet use only with one hard drive loaded with Windows 98SE. For security purposes I also want two removable devices, one for original files and the other for backup. I am thinking of using 1 GB flash cards. Has anyone any experience of their long term stability and operating life.

I would need to save all originals of OE messages and IE files to a flash card. I believe it is relatively easy to change the destination folder for OE but not certain how to do it for IE?

Any advice appreciated.

Stuartli 18:49 21 Dec 06

Providing you use memory cards with reasonable care they should last a very long time.

I suggested to my best mate that he did basic backups to a Compact Memory Card several years ago, in between full backups, and he has been doing this for at least three years with the same 128MB card.

seedie 19:15 21 Dec 06

been doing backups to flash mem in one of those 7-in-1 reader/writers for 3 years. Works a treat.

CD

Gongoozler 19:29 21 Dec 06

In IE it's easy to change the location of Temporary Internet Files (Tools - Internet Options - General - Temporary Internet files - Settings - Move folder), but I think that History data is stored in the registry. If I'm right, the best thing might be to set the "Days to keep pages in history" to 0.

Belatucadrus 20:55 21 Dec 06

click here for an alternative.

fuggle 10:13 23 Dec 06

Thanks guys. Now confident of going ahead with flash cards. All the best for the forthcoming festivities

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5