Long term startup problem.

FedupwithPCs 09:53 25 Sep 09

My Pentium4 home-built PC running XP Pro SP3 has been a reliable workhorse and plenty fast enough for my needs. But it has started playing up. On boot up, all the icons bottom right don't always load. Usually a reboot will get them all up and running but my network never seems to connect automatically these days. I have to right click on the "monitor" icon and hit "repair". It then does its thing and the connection is made good to the wifi router. Is there something I can do to get this to work properly. It is starting to annoy me as the PC is working brilliantly in all other respects.

Audio~~Chip 11:31 25 Sep 09

What have you got on for internet security

FedupwithPCs 11:49 25 Sep 09

I have AVG 8.5, "Malwarebytes" AntiMalware 1.41, Kerio Personal Firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2, etc. all behind a D-link DSL-G624T wifi router. I regularly update and run this stuff but nothing much comes up other than a few bits of spyware and cookies. I can't pin down the problem to starting after any particular change to the system. I generally don't mess with it much these days now that it is stable and not giving me any headaches.

PcTestCard.com 12:01 25 Sep 09

Try disable all startup options using the "msconfig" command at RUN prompt.

After the PC reboot, see if the problem fixed.

run from DOS "chkdsk c:/r/v" to scan the HDD for any error.

Hope this helps!
Bill

FedupwithPCs 12:11 25 Sep 09

I'm a bit puzzled. won't this stop my antivirus and network connection from working? Are these not necessary?

Audio~~Chip 22:07 25 Sep 09

That many would conflict and you need to get rid of some.

Technotiger 22:18 25 Sep 09

Sorry Audio~~Chip, I disagree, I don't think the problem is too many security type programs, as long as there is only one anti-virus the rest are ok.

I have very similar programs with my XP Home - except that I have Ad-Aware, not Spybot.

I would suggest running Ccleaner, might help!

FedupwithPCs 22:23 25 Sep 09

I have CCleaner. I run it daily.

Technotiger 22:31 25 Sep 09

Hmm, in that case, I think you are over-doing it a bit - shouldn't need more than about once a week at most! This could be part of the problem.

FedupwithPCs 22:32 25 Sep 09

Oh.

Technotiger 22:46 25 Sep 09

I don't have Ccleaner, but do have a similar program - Glary Utilities, which I only run once every other week.

Touch wood - problems with my PC are a rarity, I am happy to say.

I hope I haven't gremlinized it now :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…