Long startup time!

mgpillay 19:50 17 Jan 08

My laptop (which runs on WinXP) takes almost 10 minutes to start up!
It also makes a continuous beeping noise at the first screen of start up.

Are there any software utilities that can check the problem? Or will I have to do a full reinstallation of win XP?

Thanks,
M

martjc 20:03 17 Jan 08

...what machine is it? how many beeps? Sounds to me as if it detects a problem before Widoze starts up - possible hardware problem [thinking memory or display]. Drivers?

mgpillay 20:27 17 Jan 08

its a sharp laptop...pc-gp1515.
Beeps continuously, I havent counted. It sometimes stops when i jiggle the power cord.

Since you mentioned the screen, I remembered that while booting up, if the power cord is pulled out, the hard disk stays on but the screen turns off. I must add that this is a very old machine and the battery is practically useless and it runs only on ac power.

SANTOS7 20:41 17 Jan 08

The continuous BIOS beeps suggest your power supply is U/S...

mgpillay 09:30 18 Jan 08

I'm sorry, I didn't understand 'U/S'.

If it is a problem with the power supply, will it be a good idea to try a new charger or battery on the laptop?

eedcam 09:35 18 Jan 08

U/S = useless /knackered on the way out etc.,

Diemmess 09:47 18 Jan 08

u/s = unserviceable

I would not spend money on either new battery or power supply until the original fault is investigated more fully.

A laptop battery which will no longer hold a charge could be removed for a start.
It may now have an internal short circuit which is pulling down the output voltage from the mains unit.

The early bleeps suggest a different mischief though. This might be some video component or similarly difficult failure for a laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…