Long start-up after reformat and clean install

bamfiesler 07:18 24 Mar 09

Yesterday, I did a (long) reformat of the C drive and a clean install of XP. That isntall took hours yet everything seemed ok last night when I got to put MS Office back on and connect to the net. Downloaded Zone Alarm again and Avast; several re-boots later, all is well.

However, this morning, the system took more than 3 minutes to boot up (same in safe mode). I get a black screen for about 10-15 seconds then the long, incremented XP prgress bar, which takes around 3 mins to complete. Another several seconds go by before I get to the main screen.

This is a clean install; any ideas?

birdface 07:59 24 Mar 09

Try this. click here it will tell you if any drivers are needing updated.You can always go elsewhere to download the drivers needed,I have used it for about a year with no problems.
Maybe your security programs updating at start up.Maybe set them to run at a later time.
msconfig and make sure that there are no programs running at start up that you do not need.
Not sure if a reformat would need a defrag but it was advisable if you had to download SP3.

birdface 08:06 24 Mar 09

Looks like you have got a lot of spam from Happy9374 just ignore it.

Maybe try this.
click here

bamfiesler 08:18 24 Mar 09

Yeh, but it's taking forever to get to the Welcome screen; that's where the problem lies.

Happy9374

Pack it in or I'll report you.

birdface 08:28 24 Mar 09

Hi.Sorry but just trying to fill in till someone can give you some proper advice.I have an oldish computer which takes a while to start up.So still trying to get mine to go a bit quicker.
Have you checked to see if it is running DMA and not PIO mode in device manager.

bamfiesler 08:36 24 Mar 09

Yeh, good man; thx for the bumps. ;-)

bamfiesler 08:40 24 Mar 09

WHat's DMA and PIO???

birdface 08:58 24 Mar 09

Right click my computer.properties.Hardware.device manager.press the plus sign beside ide atapi controllers.Double click primary IDE channel.Advanced settings.transfer mode should be set to DMA if available.
Also do the same with secondary IDE channel.

My primary IDE channel is showing DMA 5 and my secondary IDE channel showing DMA 2 yours may be slightly different.

^wave^ 09:04 24 Mar 09

just a thought is your virus checker running its first scan at start up this could be the problem check to see if it is running when you boot

bamfiesler 09:09 24 Mar 09

Yeh it was, but I've only installed it this morning.

Buteman - yeh, all on DMA.

The system is searching for something, isn't it? I don't get any Admin/USer Name pages, either; goes straight to main user name.

Gonna try a defrag and reboot. Will post back.

birdface 10:54 24 Mar 09

There is this.But not sure if it makes your computer run any faster.Most use NTFS but yours may be set to FAT.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…