LONG POWER UP DELAY

Solihull 18:14 PM 31 May 11

In the past as soon as I turn the computer on, the 'On' button illuminates and I hear the fan kick in. Now I get no obvious response for at least 5 min - sometimes up to 20!

My computer is not slow when it starts to boot up, but from when I press the 'On' button it can take up to 20 minutes before there is any sign of any attempt to even try to boot.

Any ideas please?

woodchip 19:11 PM 31 May 11

it may be getting ready for a new power supply. have you been fitting extra hardware like more hard drives, graphics card etc

Solihull 20:32 PM 31 May 11

Thanks for your reply. I have attached a separately powered external hard drive that is permanently connected for automatic backups. Could that be it?

woodchip 21:01 PM 31 May 11

does it have its own power supply? if not that will put extra load on the PSU

chub_tor 21:35 PM 31 May 11

It could be that the BIOS is examining and scanning the external hard drive so it would be wise to try to boot up with the external hard drive disconnected and see if your boot time is significantly reduced.

chub_tor 21:40 PM 31 May 11

Should have added check in the BIOS that your external hard drive is not listed as the FIRST boot device.

chub_tor 21:47 PM 31 May 11

In fact with your USB external drives powered-on, open the BIOS and look under Boot order. If any USB device is listed, disable it. If you ever need to boot from a USB device you can always change it back.

Solihull 22:04 PM 31 May 11

Many thanks. I will give it a go and let you know what happens tomorrow.

Solihull 18:11 PM 01 Jun 11

I checked BIOS and there is no USB listed in the boot up list.

Also I went to disconnect my external hard drive only to find that my son had already done so at some time *(I've not been backing up for a while!), so there has been no interference from this.

Now the computer no longer seems to boot automatically even after waiting. I turn it on - nothing happens - I leave it for 15 minutes - nothing - press 'on' again and it kicks in like you would have expected with the first push of the 'On' button.

CONFUSED - I am!

onthelimit1 18:20 PM 01 Jun 11

If you're happy working inside 'the box', I'd pull out the main 20/24 pin mobo connector and then use a bent paper clip to short pin 14 to 15 (that's green to black - any black will do). The fans should spin straight away (you're just replicating the front switch). If there is no immediate response, then I'd suspect the PSU. If there is, then the front switch or the wiring could be at fault.

chub_tor 18:34 PM 01 Jun 11

As Woodchip said in the first reply, I would now go along with his diagnosis that a new power supply is needed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites